Difficult integration by parts

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to solving the integral \int\frac{1 - x}{(x^2 + 2x + 3)^2}dx using substitution and partial fractions. One suggestion is to use the substitution u = x + 1 and another is to create the derivative of the base for the exponent in the denominator in the numerator. The conversation ends with the suggestion to split the integral into two parts to avoid using complex numbers.
hoeranski

Homework Statement

Calculate the following integral with partial integration:

[tex]\int\frac{1 - x}{(x^2 + 2x + 3)^2}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess you need to write the integral in easier chunks but I still fail every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write this as partial fractions? or make use of the fact that the bottom can be factorised?

I haven't tried this but letting u = 1/(x^2 + 2x + 3) may get you somewhere.

Sorry, I've checked this now and it doesn't work. Another angle of attack, probably not the best method though, is u = x + b/2a = x + 1.

Last edited:
Making the substitution I suggested (u = x + 1), one gets this:

##\int{\frac{2-u}{(2+u^2)^2}} du##

Then, one has a choice of substitutions (tan, cot, sinh). By inspection, sinh won't work. We then have denominator cosh^3, not nice. That leaves tan and cot although it seems tan is never a worse substitution than cot. I hold out hope but... use tan and...

Best of luck.

PS. Given the nature of this question, I can offer no further help. A difficult question is meant to be difficult.

With a quadratic that cannot be factored (using real numbers) in the denominator, the standard step is to complete the square: [itex]x^3+ 2x+ 3= x^2+ 2x+ 1+ 2= (x+ 1)^2+ 2[/itex] so you can write the integral as [tex]\int\frac{1- x}{((x+1)^2+ 2)^3}dx[/tex].

Now let t= x+ 1 so that dx= dt and 1- x= 2-(x+1)= 2- t. With that substitution, the integral becomes
[tex]\int\frac{2- t}{(t^2+ 2)^2}dt= 2\int\frac{dt}{(t^2+ 2)^2}- \frac{t}{(t^2+ 2)^2}dt[/tex]
For the first integral try [tex]t= \sqrt{2}tan(\theta)[/tex] and for the second, [tex]u= t^2+ 2[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Another way to tackle the integral could be to somehow create the derivative of the base for the exponent in the denominator in the numerator. Then, you could use substitution.

^That is pretty much what they did
$$\frac{1-x}{(x^2+2x+3)^2}=\frac{2-(x^2+2x+3)^\prime /2}{(x^2+2x+3)^2}$$
then we need to split it into two parts otherwise we need to use complex numbers

Related to Difficult integration by parts

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method in calculus used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves using the product rule from differentiation to rewrite the integral in a different form that is easier to solve.

2. Why is integration by parts difficult?

Integration by parts can be difficult because it requires identifying the correct functions to use for u and dv, and it may take multiple iterations to fully solve the integral. Additionally, it may require using other integration techniques such as substitution or partial fractions.

3. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is most useful when the integrand contains a product of two functions, one of which is easy to integrate and the other is difficult. It is also useful when trying to solve integrals involving logarithmic or inverse trigonometric functions.

4. How do I choose the functions for u and dv?

There is no set rule for choosing u and dv, but a common method is to choose u as the more complicated function and dv as the simpler function. It may also be helpful to choose u as the function that will eventually decrease in complexity with each iteration of integration by parts.

5. How can I check my answer for integration by parts?

To check your answer, you can differentiate the result and see if it matches the original integrand. You can also use online integration calculators or check with your teacher or peers for confirmation.