Difficult integrals (important für Fourier series)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving showing relations for three given equations. The first equation is easily solved, but the second and third equations prove to be more difficult. The person attempted to use partial integration on the second equation, but was unable to show that the resulting term is equal to zero. The other person suggests using trigonometric identities for the third equation, specifically the ones involving angle addition and subtraction. This leads to a solution for the third equation. The conversation ends with a request to change the thread title from German to English.
keenPenguin
Hello,

I couldn't figure out the following problem so far.

Homework Statement

[tex]m,n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]. Show the following relations:
fourierintegralsmtgi.png

Homework Equations

a) is no problem, but b) and c) seem tricky. I tried partial integration (two times) on b), which gave me a term which contained the original integral. So I sorted the term and got that:

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\sin\left(mx\right)\cos\left(nx\right)dx=\frac{1}{1+\frac{n^{2}}{m^{2}}}\left(\left[-\frac{\cos\left(mx\right)}{m}\cos\left(nx\right)\right]_{0}^{2\pi}+\frac{n}{m}\left[\frac{\sin\left(mx\right)}{m}\sin\left(nx\right)\right]_{0}^{2\pi}\right)[/tex]

But I can't see why this should be zero.

Any help appreciated!

kP

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I think the trig identities for angle addition and subtraction would be useful here. I mean the ones that involve
sin(a+b), sin(a-b), cos(a+b), and cos(a-b)

EDIT:
I looked more carefully at what you did get. Okay, if m and n are integers, what can you say about cos(mx) and cos(nx) when they are evaluated at 0 vs. when they are evaluated at 2pi?

Last edited:
Thank you Redbelly,

you are right, I don't know why I missed that, n and m being integers, b) is quite obviously 0.

Concerning c): Yes, I also thought about those trig identities, but still couldn't figure it out. It's

cos(mx+nx)+sin(mx)sin(nx)=cos(mx)cos(nx), but trying to integrate the LHS, I get into even more trouble.

Try

cos(mx+nx) + cos(mx-nx) = ?

That's it, thanks a lot. Works fine! :-)

EDIT: BTW, if an admin reads that, please change the thread title from the German "für" to for ;-)

Related to Difficult integrals (important für Fourier series)

1. What are difficult integrals?

Difficult integrals are mathematical expressions that involve the integration of complex or non-standard functions. These integrals often require advanced techniques and mathematical concepts to solve, making them challenging for many mathematicians and scientists.

2. Why are difficult integrals important for Fourier series?

Fourier series are mathematical representations of periodic functions as an infinite sum of trigonometric functions. Difficult integrals play a crucial role in finding the coefficients of these trigonometric functions, which ultimately determine the accuracy and convergence of the Fourier series.

3. What are some common techniques for solving difficult integrals?

Some common techniques for solving difficult integrals include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, and partial fractions. These techniques involve manipulating the integrand in various ways to simplify the integral and make it more manageable.

4. Can difficult integrals be solved analytically?

In many cases, difficult integrals cannot be solved analytically, meaning that they cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. In these cases, numerical methods, such as numerical integration or Monte Carlo simulation, can be used to approximate the solution.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving difficult integrals?

To improve your skills in solving difficult integrals, it is essential to have a strong foundation in calculus and advanced mathematical concepts. Practicing with a variety of integrals and familiarizing yourself with different techniques can also help improve your problem-solving abilities.