Differentiation with trig functions

In summary, the coefficient of friction, μ, is determined by the equation F=\frac{\mu W}{\mu sin(\theta) + cos(\theta)}
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

An object with weight W is dragged along a horizontal plane by a force acting along a rope attached to the object. If the rope makes an angle θ with the plane, then the magnitude of the force is given by the following equation, where μ is a constant called the coefficient of friction.

[tex] F = \frac {\mu W} {\mu sin(\theta) + cos(\theta)} [/tex]

Find the rate of change of F with respect to theta.

Homework Equations

Quotient Rule for Differentiation

[tex] \frac {d}{dx} \frac {f(x)}{g(x)} = \frac {g(x)*f'(x)-f(x)*g'(x)}{(g(x))^{2}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So i assumed that μW is the same as something like 2x so I took its derivative to be μ and I think that's all I need to explain so...

[tex] \frac {dF}{d\theta} = \frac { (\mu sin(\theta) + cos (\theta))(\mu) - (\mu W) (\mu cos (\theta)-sin(\theta))} { (\mu sin(\theta) + cos (\theta))^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac {dF}{d\theta} = \frac {\mu^{2} sin(\theta) + \mu cos (\theta) - (\mu^{2}Wcos(\theta)-\mu W sin(\theta))} { (\mu sin(\theta) + cos (\theta))^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac {dF}{d\theta} = \frac {\mu^{2} sin(\theta) + \mu cos (\theta) - \mu^{2}Wcos(\theta)+\mu W sin(\theta)} { (\mu sin(\theta) + cos (\theta))^{2}} [/tex]

Thats what I get, which is wrong according to the program we use for my class but it will never tell me what the right answer is so I am kind of at a loss here until monday unless someone can point out where I went wrong. I also re-did it while assuming μW to be a total constant with a derivative of just 1 and the only thing that changes is then:

[tex] \frac {dF}{d\theta} = \frac {\mu sin(\theta) + cos (\theta) - \mu^{2}Wcos(\theta)+\mu W sin(\theta)} { (\mu sin(\theta) + cos (\theta))^{2}} [/tex]

Which is also wrong... thanks for any help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Asphyxiated said:
I also re-did it while assuming μW to be a total constant with a derivative of just 1

The derivative of a constant is 0.

heh... yes it is, that's funny... i wonder where i got the 1 from... anyway that fixes it... thanks for pointing out my dumb mistake

Related to Differentiation with trig functions

1. What is differentiation with trig functions?

Differentiation with trig functions is a mathematical process that involves finding the rate of change of a trigonometric function at a particular point. It is the process of finding the slope of a curve at a specific point on the curve.

2. Why is differentiation with trig functions important?

Differentiation with trig functions is important because it allows us to find the instantaneous rate of change of a function, which is useful in many real-world applications such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps in solving optimization problems and understanding the behavior of curves.

3. What are the basic rules for differentiation with trig functions?

The basic rules for differentiation with trig functions include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules are used to find the derivative of a trigonometric function with respect to its independent variable.

4. Can you give an example of differentiation with trig functions?

Sure, consider the function f(x) = sin(x). To find the derivative of this function, we use the power rule and the chain rule. The derivative of sin(x) with respect to x is cos(x). In other words, the slope of the curve of sin(x) at any point is cos(x).

5. How can I apply differentiation with trig functions in real life?

Differentiation with trig functions is useful in many real-life applications such as calculating the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion, determining the optimal angle for a ramp or roller coaster, and analyzing the behavior of waves and oscillations. It is also used in fields like astronomy, navigation, and signal processing.