Differentiation with electricity help

This would give you the slope of the current at each given time. So, in summary, the current in the circuit is modeled by the equation i= v/r (1-e^-Rt/L) and the rate of change of the current can be calculated by differentiating this equation with respect to time and then plugging in the desired time values. This results in a current of 0 amps at t=0 ns, 1.146x10^-4 amps at t=1 ns, and 4.968x10^-3 amps at t=50 ns. It is important to differentiate the equation before plugging in time values in order to get the correct rate of change of the current.
Thepiman

Homework Statement

A circuit consists of 230V supply, a switch, a 2mH inductor and a 12k ohm resistor in series

When the switch is closed at time t=o, a current i begins to flow in the circuit: The current is modeled by the following equation:

i= v/r (1-e^-Rt/L)

Determine the rate of change of the current at the following times:
i) t= o ns
ii) t= 1 ns
iii) t= 50 ns

I have subbed the values in and come up with answers of
i) i= 0 amps
ii) i= 1.146x10^-4 amps
iii) i= 4.968x10^-3 amps

But is this right? Do i need to insert the values in first and simplify the equation? Then differentiate it then sub in values for t?

Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

i= v/r (1-e^-Rt/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

i= v/r (1-e^-Rt/L)
i= 230/12x10^3 (1-e^-12x10^3x50x10^-9/2x10^-3)
i= 0.0916 (0.25918)
i= 4.968x10^-3 amps

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm reading the question correctly, they want the 'rate of change' of the current at particular times. This means you would want to differentiate with respect to time first before plugging in your time values.

Related to Differentiation with electricity help

1. What is differentiation with electricity?

Differentiation with electricity is a process that involves modifying the electrical properties of a material in order to create new properties or enhance existing ones. This can include changing the conductivity, resistance, or capacitance of a material to improve its function or performance.

2. How is differentiation with electricity used in science?

Differentiation with electricity is used in a variety of scientific fields, including materials science, electronics, and biotechnology. It can be used to create new materials with specific properties, improve the efficiency of electronic devices, and manipulate biological cells and tissues for research and medical purposes.

3. What are the methods of differentiation with electricity?

There are several methods of differentiation with electricity, including electroplating, electroforming, and electroporation. In electroplating, a metal coating is applied to a conductive surface through the use of an electrical current. Electroforming involves using electricity to deposit metal onto a mold to create a desired shape. Electroporation involves creating temporary pores in cell membranes using an electrical pulse to allow for the delivery of substances into cells.

4. What are the benefits of differentiation with electricity?

Differentiation with electricity can provide a wide range of benefits, depending on the specific application. It can improve the performance and efficiency of electronic devices, create new and improved materials, and allow for the manipulation of biological cells for research and medical purposes. It can also help to reduce waste and energy consumption in certain industries.

5. Are there any risks associated with differentiation with electricity?

As with any scientific process, there are potential risks associated with differentiation with electricity. These may include electrical hazards, exposure to toxic substances, or unintended effects on the materials or cells being manipulated. It is important to follow safety protocols and conduct thorough research before conducting any experiments involving differentiation with electricity.