Differentiation under the integral sign

In summary: I get the same result as you do: R'(x) = 2*[R(x) + c].So the definition of R(x) is:\displaystyle R(x) := \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{\left( -\frac{x^2}{y^2} - y^2\right)} \, dy That explains why R is not a function of y. I get the same result as you do: R'(x) = 2*[R(x) + c].In summary, the derivative of the given function R(x) is 2 times the integral of the original function, with a constant of integration added. The constant of integration can be found by
naaa00

Homework Statement

R(x) := ∫ exp ( -y^2 - x^2/y^2 ) dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I move the derivative operator inside the integral and differentiate with respect to x

R'(x) = ∫ [ - 2x/y^2 ] exp ( -x^2/y^2 - y^2 ) dy

Then I let: t = x/y and dy = - x/t^2 dt

R'(x) = 2 ∫ [ - x ] [ t^2 / x^2 ] exp ( t^2 - x^2/t^2 ) [ - x/t^2 ] dt

=> R'(x) = 2 R(x)

But that last part is supposed to be R'(x) = - 2 R(x) - I don't see why.

Then, it follows that this integrates to R(x) = Ae^(−2x) and x = 0 gives R(0) = √π. This last part I don't get it neither. From where the e^(-2x) came from?

Any help is very appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
naaa00 said:

Homework Statement

R(x) := ∫ exp ( -y^2 - x^2/y^2 ) dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I move the derivative operator inside the integral and differentiate with respect to x

R'(x) = ∫ [ - 2x/y^2 ] exp ( -x^2/y^2 - y^2 ) dy

Then I let: t = x/y and dy = - x/t^2 dt

R'(x) = 2 ∫ [ - x ] [ t^2 / x^2 ] exp ( t^2 - x^2/t^2 ) [ - x/t^2 ] dt

=> R'(x) = 2 R(x)

But that last part is supposed to be R'(x) = - 2 R(x) - I don't see why.

Then, it follows that this integrates to R(x) = Ae^(−2x) and x = 0 gives R(0) = √π. This last part I don't get it neither. From where the e^(-2x) came from?

Any help is very appreciated.

I also get R'(x) = 2*[R(x) + c], where c is a constant of integration. Here are the steps, done in Maple 11 (with output written in LaTeX):

R:=Int(exp(-x^2/y^2-y^2),y);
[tex] R = \int e^{\left(\displaystyle -\frac{x^2}{y^2} - y^2\right)} \, dy [/tex]
Rp:=diff(R,x);
[tex] Rp = \int -\frac{2x}{y^2} e^{\left(\displaystyle -\frac{x^2}{y^2} - y^2\right)} \, dy [/tex]
changevar(x/y=t,Rp);
[tex] \int e^{\left(\displaystyle -\frac{x^2}{t^2} - t^2\right)} \, dt [/tex]

RGV

I just realize that I didn't consider the limits of integration... The limits are from 0 to infinity...

but still something must be wrong...

Yeah, the negative probably comes in from having to flip the limits of integration when you transform to the varaible t.

Does "exp(-y^2- x^2/y^2)" mean [itex]e^{-y^2- (x^2/y^2)}[/itex] or [itex]e^{(-y^2- x^2)/y^2}[/itex].

Hello Halls,

The one in the middle.

naaa00 said:
I just realize that I didn't consider the limits of integration... The limits are from 0 to infinity...

but still something must be wrong...

HallsofIvy said:
Does "exp(-y^2- x^2/y^2)" mean [itex]e^{-y^2- (x^2/y^2)}[/itex] or [itex]e^{(-y^2- x^2)/y^2}[/itex].

So the definition of R(x) is:
[itex]\displaystyle R(x) := \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{\left( -\frac{x^2}{y^2} - y^2\right)} \, dy[/itex]​
That explains why R is not a function of y.

Related to Differentiation under the integral sign

What is differentiation under the integral sign?

Differentiation under the integral sign is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals that involve a variable limit of integration. It involves differentiating the integrand with respect to the variable of integration and then integrating the resulting expression.

What is the purpose of differentiation under the integral sign?

The purpose of differentiation under the integral sign is to simplify the process of evaluating integrals that involve a variable limit of integration. It allows for the use of simpler integration techniques and can also sometimes lead to closed-form solutions for integrals that would otherwise be difficult to solve.

What are the conditions for using differentiation under the integral sign?

The conditions for using differentiation under the integral sign are that the integrand must be continuous in both the variable of integration and the parameter of differentiation, and that the integral must be convergent.

What are the benefits of using differentiation under the integral sign?

The benefits of using differentiation under the integral sign include simplifying the process of evaluating integrals, allowing for the use of simpler integration techniques, and potentially obtaining closed-form solutions for difficult integrals.

What are some examples of integrals that can be evaluated using differentiation under the integral sign?

Some examples of integrals that can be evaluated using differentiation under the integral sign include integrals involving logarithmic, exponential, or trigonometric functions with a variable limit of integration. It can also be applied to improper integrals and definite integrals with complex limits.