Differentiation under the integral sign problem

In summary: The suggestion is to try a different approach, such as using a numerical integration method or expressing the function as a power series, to find an approximate solution. In summary, the conversation is about finding a solution for the integral \int_1^2 \frac {e^x}{x}\,dx through differentiation under the integral sign, but after several attempts, it seems that an elementary anti-derivative cannot be found. Alternative methods, such as numerical integration or expressing the function as a power series, may be used to approximate the solution.
Bounceback

Homework Statement

[itex]\int_1^2 \frac {e^x}{x}\,dx[/itex] Through the use of differentiation under the integral sign.

2. The attempt at a solution
Tried inputting a several times, each one resulting in another function without an elementary anti-derivative (example given below)
[itex]I(a)=\int_1^2 \frac {e^{-ax}}{x}\,dx[/itex]
[itex]I'(a)=\int_1^2 -e^{-ax}\,dx[/itex]
[itex]I'(a)=\frac {e^{-2a}}{a}-\frac {e^{-a}}{a}[/itex]
[itex]I(a)=\int \frac {e^{-2a}}{a}\,da-\int \frac {e^{-a}}{a}\,da[/itex]
Resulting in a non-elementary anti-derivative...

Other examples I've tried include:
  • [itex]I(a)=\int_1^2 \frac {e^x*sin(ax)}{x}[/itex]
  • Subsituting x for ln(b), resulting in [itex]\int_1^2 \frac {1}{b*ln(b)}\,db[/itex], then saying [itex]I(a)=\int_1^2 \frac {1-b^a}{b*ln(b)}\,db[/itex]
Both of these last two also result in a non-elementary anti-derivative

Physics news on Phys.org
Bounceback said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\int_1^2 \frac {e^x}{x}\,dx[/itex] Through the use of differentiation under the integral sign.

2. The attempt at a solution
Tried inputting a several times, each one resulting in another function without an elementary anti-derivative (example given below)
[itex]I(a)=\int_1^2 \frac {e^{-ax}}{x}\,dx[/itex]
[itex]I'(a)=\int_1^2 -e^{-ax}\,dx[/itex]
[itex]I'(a)=\frac {e^{-2a}}{a}-\frac {e^{-a}}{a}[/itex]
[itex]I(a)=\int \frac {e^{-2a}}{a}\,da-\int \frac {e^{-a}}{a}\,da[/itex]
Resulting in a non-elementary anti-derivative...

Other examples I've tried include:
  • [itex]I(a)=\int_1^2 \frac {e^x*sin(ax)}{x}[/itex]
  • Subsituting x for ln(b), resulting in [itex]\int_1^2 \frac {1}{b*ln(b)}\,db[/itex], then saying [itex]I(a)=\int_1^2 \frac {1-b^a}{b*ln(b)}\,db[/itex]
Both of these last two also result in a non-elementary anti-derivative

Not every integral of a function can be written as elementary functions. Try to use numerical integration methods.

Math_QED said:
Not every integral of a function can be written as elementary functions. Try to use numerical integration methods.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying to use a different method to find the value of [itex]\int_1^2 \frac {e^x}{x}\,dx[/itex], rather than differentiation under the integral sign.

The question I was asked stated to use differentiation under the integral sign.

If I understand you wrong, could you rephrase your statement?

Last edited:
I mean, you can't solve this integral by finding a primitive. You either use a numerical integration method (Simpson's method, for instance) or you express e^x/x as a power series. In that case, you can determine the power series of the primitive function and approximate the solution.

Math_QED said:
I mean, you can't solve this integral by finding a primitive. You either use a numerical integration method (Simpson's method, for instance) or you express e^x/x as a power series. In that case, you can determine the power series of the primitive function and approximate the solution.
You can use the Leibniz Rule to evaluate definite integrals without resorting to purely numerical approximations or using infinite series. That's what the point of the question is all about in the OP: how to use the Leibniz Rule in this fashion.

SteamKing said:
You can use the Leibniz Rule to evaluate definite integrals without resorting to purely numerical approximations or using infinite series. That's what the point of the question is all about in the OP: how to use the Leibniz Rule in this fashion.

It is clear that the OP knows how to use Leibniz' rule, and has made several attempts to apply it, but none of them seem to work.

Related to Differentiation under the integral sign problem

1. What is the differentiation under the integral sign problem?

The differentiation under the integral sign problem, also known as the Leibniz integral rule, is a method for finding the derivative of a function that is defined as an integral. It allows for the differentiation of a function with respect to a variable that appears in the limits of the integral.

2. Why is the differentiation under the integral sign problem important?

This problem is important because it allows for the evaluation of integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve analytically. It also has applications in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How is the differentiation under the integral sign problem solved?

The problem is solved by using the Leibniz integral rule, which states that the derivative of an integral with respect to a variable can be found by differentiating the integrand and then evaluating the result at the limits of the integral.

4. Are there any limitations to using the differentiation under the integral sign problem?

Yes, there are limitations to using this method. It only works for integrals with fixed limits and where the derivative of the integrand exists. It also cannot be used for improper integrals, where the limits are infinite or the integrand is undefined at certain points.

5. Can the differentiation under the integral sign problem be used for multivariable integrals?

Yes, the differentiation under the integral sign problem can be extended to multivariable integrals. This is known as the Leibniz integral rule for multiple variables and allows for the differentiation of a function with respect to multiple variables that appear in the limits of the integral.