How Long Until a Cursed Civilization's Population Reaches Zero?

In summary, the conversation discusses two civilizations that hate each other, with one throwing a curse at the other. The cursed civilization experiences a change in population each week according to ΔP = -√P, starting with a population of 676 people. The question asks how many weeks it will take for the population to reach zero, and the solution can be found by solving the differential equation dP/dt = -√P with P(0) = 676. However, since the population must be an integer, using calculus may not give an exact solution.
Math Henry

Homework Statement

[/B]
Summarizing: two civilizations hate each other, one of the civilizations throws a curse at the second. The second civilization succumbs to chaos and has a change in Population each week of ΔP= -√P. That is:
Pn = Pn-1-√Pn-1

Homework Equations

[/B]
Considering that the civilization starts with a population of 676 people, how many week until it reaches zero?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know it's solution uses differentiation and i know it's probably easy, but i can't seem to get a grasp at it, and it really frustrates me. I've done it manually and is ≅50 weeks, but that didn't satisfied me and i need that answer nice and tidy using calculus. Please help me out. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Henry said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Summarizing: two civilizations hate each other, one of the civilizations throws a curse at the second. The second civilization succumbs to chaos and has a change in Population each week of ΔP= -√P. That is:
Pn = Pn-1-√Pn-1

Homework Equations

[/B]
Considering that the civilization starts with a population of 676 people, how many week until it reaches zero?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know it's solution uses differentiation and i know it's probably easy, but i can't seem to get a grasp at it, and it really frustrates me. I've done it manually and is ≅50 weeks, but that didn't satisfied me and i need that answer nice and tidy using calculus. Please help me out. Thanks in advance

Your model is a discrete-time difference model, so calculus is not really appropriate for it. Doing it manually is absolutely the correct way to go.

If you really do want to use calculus to get an approximate (not exact) answer, you can solve the differential equation
$$ \frac{dP}{dt} = -\sqrt{P}, \; P(0) = 676$$
and determine where ##P(t) = 0.##

The real problem is that neither the discrete-time difference method of the continuous-time calculus method captures reality---the fact that at any time ##P(n)## or ##P(t)## must be an integer. Thus, the equation ##P(n+1) = P(n) - \sqrt{P(n)}## cannot hold exactly because it often produces a non-integer result for ##P(n+1)##. It is not at all clear how to fix this up.

Last edited:
Likes Math Henry
Ray Vickson said:
The real problem is that neither the discrete-time difference method of the continuous-time calculus method captures reality---the fact that at any time ##P(n)## or ##P(t)## must be an integer. Thus, the equation ##P(n+1) = P(n) - \sqrt{P(n)}## cannot hold exactly because it often produces a non-integer result for ##P(n+1)##. It is not at all clear how to fix this up.
Thank you Ray for the quick reply, at least now i know that the answer is not that obvious.

Ray Vickson said:
If you really do want to use calculus to get an approximate (not exact) answer, you can solve the differential equation
$$ \frac{dP}{dt} = -\sqrt{P}, \; P(0) = 676$$
and determine where ##P(t) = 0.##

So, if I ignore the fact that I am using a model of population which can only hold meaning for integer populations, that is, any result P ∈ ℕ, and instead treat it like an ordinary system which accept results P ∈ ℝ , i get, by integrating both sides:
$$ P(t) = 676 - \sqrt{P}*t $$
Is that the furthest i can go in this problem with calculus? P.S.: I know that i can solve that kind of problem easily with a simple Python or FORTRAN program for bigger populations, but the book it never mentioned the need for it.

Math Henry said:
Thank you Ray for the quick reply, at least now i know that the answer is not that obvious.
So, if I ignore the fact that I am using a model of population which can only hold meaning for integer populations, that is, any result P ∈ ℕ, and instead treat it like an ordinary system which accept results P ∈ ℝ , i get, by integrating both sides:
$$ P(t) = 676 - \sqrt{P}*t $$
Is that the furthest i can go in this problem with calculus?P.S.: I know that i can solve that kind of problem easily with a simple Python or FORTRAN program for bigger populations, but the book it never mentioned the need for it.

No, you do NOT get ##P(t) = 676 - \sqrt{P(t)} t##; that is not how you solve a differential equation. Anyway, your notaton ##\sqrt{P} * t## is meaningless, since there is only one ##P## here---and it takes ##t## as an argument. When we write a differential equation as ##dP/dt =-\sqrt{P}## that is really shorthand notation for ##dP(t)/dt = -\sqrt{P(t)}##.

Google "differential equation" for more information, or look in your textbook if you have one (and if it covers that topic). Even better: Google "separable differential equation".

Last edited:
Likes Math Henry

Related to How Long Until a Cursed Civilization's Population Reaches Zero?

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical concept that refers to the process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. In simpler terms, it is a method for finding the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. It is also used in a variety of fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and solve real-world problems.

3. What are the different types of differentiation?

The two main types of differentiation are analytic differentiation, which involves using algebraic rules and formulas to find the derivative of a function, and numerical differentiation, which involves using numerical methods to approximate the derivative of a function.

4. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use a variety of methods such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules involve using algebraic manipulation and taking limits to find the derivative at a specific point.

5. What are some applications of differentiation?

Some common applications of differentiation include optimization problems, finding maximum and minimum values, and solving related rates problems. It is also used in fields such as calculus, physics, and economics to model and analyze various phenomena.