Differentiation of Unit Tangent

In summary, the conversation discusses finding T'(t) using given information about T(t) and its properties. The process involves differentiating c'(t)/||c'(t)|| and simplifying to eventually obtain T'(t) = c"(t). This only applies if T(t) is parametrized by the arc length. The conversation concludes with a confirmation that the calculations are correct and the solution has been found.
MichaelT
So we are given T(t) = c'(t)/||c'(t)|| as well as ||T|| = 1

We also know T(t)dotT(t) = 1 and T'(t)dotT(t) = 0

The problem asks us to find T'(t)

I tried differentiating c'(t)/||c'(t)|| treating ||c'(t)|| as the square root of the dot product of c'(t) with itself. I used the product rule, chain rule, quotient rule, and ended up with some nasty terms, namely c'(t) dot c"(t).

I am pretty sure the answer we are looking for is T'(t) = c"(t). Therefore, if we can prove that T(t) = c'(t), then the answer T'(t) = c"(t) follows.

Please help! LOL Not being able to solve this has been bothering me big time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wait, I was wrong about something. T(t) will only equal c'(t) if it is parametrized by the arc length.

This is what I got, if anyone cares to check (please do!)

T'(t) = [||c'(t)||(c"(t)) - c'(t)(c'(t) dot c"(t))]/||c'(t)||3

I got c''(t)/|c'(t)|-c'(t)(c'(t).c''(t))/|c'(t)|^3. That's like yours but with some factors and parentheses moved around. You can do a quick check by testing whether T(t).T'(t)=0. Is it?

That is most definitely what I got when I just re-did the problem!

Yay! Thank you very much, I will go and check it now

:biggrin:

Related to Differentiation of Unit Tangent

1. What is the definition of unit tangent vector?

The unit tangent vector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and is tangent to a curve at a specific point. It represents the direction and rate of change of a curve at that point.

2. How is the unit tangent vector calculated?

The unit tangent vector is calculated by taking the derivative of the curve at a specific point and then normalizing the resulting vector to have a magnitude of 1.

3. What is the significance of the unit tangent vector in differentiation?

The unit tangent vector is used in differentiation to calculate the slope of a curve at a specific point, which is essential in finding the rate of change of a function and determining the behavior of a curve.

4. How is the unit tangent vector related to the normal vector?

The unit tangent vector and the normal vector are perpendicular to each other. The normal vector is calculated by taking the derivative of the unit tangent vector, and it represents the direction of curvature of a curve at a specific point.

5. Can the unit tangent vector be negative?

Yes, the unit tangent vector can be negative if the curve is decreasing at a specific point. The sign of the unit tangent vector indicates the direction of the curve at that point.