Differentiation Ax^b with f(x) already given

In summary, the conversation discusses how to differentiate various functions, specifically f(x)=x^4. It covers different scenarios such as f'(3x^3), d[f(3x^3)]/dx, and f'(xy^3), and provides examples on how to evaluate these functions. The individual asking for help also expresses their doubts and confusion about the notation, but the expert assures them that they are on the right track.
jameswill1am

Homework Statement

The function f is defined as f(x)=x^4, then;

f'(3x^3)=?

d[f(3x^3)]/dx=?

f'(xy^3)=?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem here is not so much doing the differentiation itself but understanding the notation.

1. for f'(3x^3) i want to differentiate my f(x) to get 4x^3 and then f'(3x^3)=4(3x^3)^3?

2. Here i want to diff. (3x^3)^4?

3. And for the third i want to put f'(xy^3)is equal to f'(x) and then put in x=(xy^3), and so something like 4(xy^3)^3?

Let me know if I'm on the right tracks. cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
First you'll need f'(x). Then you need to evaluate that function at 3x3.

As an example, suppose that g(x) = x3 and you want g'(2x2).

g'(x) = 3x2, so g'(2x2) = 3(2x2)2 = 3 * 4x4 = 12x4.
Edit: Never mind. It looks like you have the idea.
2. That looks right.
3. Looks right.

Last edited:
Thanks i felt as though i new what i was doing but hours without sleep had caused me to doubt myself. Thanks for the concise reply and for the peace of mind.

Related to Differentiation Ax^b with f(x) already given

1. What is the general formula for differentiating a function with the form Ax^b?

The general formula for differentiating a function with the form Ax^b is bAx^(b-1), where A is the coefficient and b is the exponent.

2. How do I differentiate a function with the form Ax^b using the power rule?

To differentiate a function with the form Ax^b using the power rule, you simply bring down the exponent, multiply it by the coefficient, and subtract 1 from the exponent. For example, to differentiate 2x^3, you would get 6x^2.

3. Can I differentiate a function with the form Ax^b using any other rules?

Yes, you can also use the product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule to differentiate a function with the form Ax^b, depending on the complexity of the function.

4. How do I differentiate a function with the form Ax^b when f(x) is already given?

If f(x) is already given, you can differentiate it by first finding the derivative of Ax^b using the power rule, and then multiplying it by the derivative of f(x). For example, if f(x) = 3x^2 and g(x) = 2x^3, then the derivative of f(x)g(x) would be 3x^2 * 6x^2 = 18x^4.

5. What is the purpose of differentiating a function with the form Ax^b?

The purpose of differentiating a function with the form Ax^b is to find the rate of change of the function at a specific point, which can be useful in solving real-world problems and understanding the behavior of the function.