Differentiation and Stationary Points

In summary, the conversation discusses using the graph of a cubic function to determine the number of real solutions to the equation f(x)=0. The person is unsure of how to use both the stationary points and the graph to find the solutions. Through the conversation, it is concluded that by using the first derivative and considering the limits as x->infinity and x->-infinity, it can be shown that there is only one real solution to the equation. The conversation also touches on the use of discriminants for cubics, but it is determined that it is not necessary for this problem.
Peter G.
Hi,

Q: By investigating the stationary points of f(x)= x3+3x2+6x-30 and sketching the curve y=f(x) show that the equation f(x)=0 has only one real solution.

A: Well, I don't understand how I should use both. Plotting the graph, I can clearly spot a solution: x = 1.9319548

I know how to investigate the stationary points. I first found the first derivative: 3x2+6x+6, which had no real solution, so I moved to the second derivative: 6x+6, but I still don't get the connection. How can I use stationary points to define where the cubic will intersect the x-axis.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

Q: By investigating the stationary points of f(x)= x3+3x2+6x-30 and sketching the curve y=f(x) show that the equation f(x)=0 has only one real solution.

A: Well, I don't understand how I should use both. Plotting the graph, I can clearly spot a solution: x = 1.9319548

I know how to investigate the stationary points. I first found the first derivative: 3x2+6x+6, which had no real solution, so I moved to the second derivative: 6x+6, but I still don't get the connection. How can I use stationary points to define where the cubic will intersect the x-axis.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Since there are no real zeros for the derivative then there are no stationary points. Consider the limits as x->infinity and x->-infinity. Can you argue there must be at least one root? Can you argue that there can't be two?

Ok, I understood: "Since there are no real zeros for the derivative then there are no stationary points." But, I have to find roots in the cubic?

Peter G. said:
Ok, I understood: "Since there are no real zeros for the derivative then there are no stationary points." But, I have to find roots in the cubic?

No, you don't have to find them. You just have to show that there is exactly one of them.

I've learned about discriminants for quadratics. I did a quick search and there is one for cubics. Another website claimed that + + + -, like in my case, then there is only one real root. Sorry, I've never dealt with cubics :redface:

I don't think the question has anything to do with the formula for finding roots to a cubic. The question is asking you to use your knowledge of derivatives and how they affect the shape of a graph. If you look up the "cubic formula", you have not answered the question. Yes, you are correct, but the question was very specific about how you should show the answer.

Um... ok. So, for example. From the graph I know that the solution is at 1.93. So, if I use the first derivative, I can show that to the left and right, the gradient will always be positive, hence, meaning the line wouldn't ascend/descend, cutting the x-axis again?

Peter G. said:
Um... ok. So, for example. From the graph I know that the solution is at 1.93. So, if I use the first derivative, I can show that to the left and right, the gradient will always be positive, hence, meaning the line wouldn't ascend/descend, cutting the x-axis again?

Yes, you are almost there. But you didn't even need to find the root at 1.93. If x is negative and large then your polynomial is a large negative number. If x is positive and large then your polynomial is a large positive number. There must be at least one root since it has to cross the x-axis someplace, yes?

Related to Differentiation and Stationary Points

What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to determine the rate at which a function changes. It involves finding the slope or gradient of a curve at a specific point.

What is the purpose of differentiation?

The purpose of differentiation is to help us understand and analyze the behavior of a function. It can be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function, as well as to determine the concavity of a curve.

What are stationary points?

Stationary points, also known as critical points, are points on a curve where the slope or gradient is equal to zero. This means that the function is neither increasing nor decreasing at that point.

What is the significance of stationary points?

Stationary points are important because they can indicate the minimum or maximum values of a function. They can also help us determine whether a function is concave up or concave down.

How do you find stationary points?

To find stationary points, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the x-value(s) of the stationary point(s). Finally, plug in the x-value(s) into the original function to find the corresponding y-value(s).