Differentiation and Simple Pendulums

In summary: Ah okay, I think I'm starting to see it. I think your hints enough have helped me. I'm going to brush up on differential skills after this (clearly, I'm lacking), but this is a good start. :-) Thank you!In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the proportional change in the gravitational force (g) acting on a pendulum when there is a 1% change in either the length of the string (L) or the period of the pendulum (T). Using the formula T = 2*pi*sqrt(L/g), it is determined that g = 4*pi^2/T^2*L. By expressing a small change in L as dL, it can be seen that the proportional
brinstar

Homework Statement

*according to my teacher, the problem can be solved either through differentials or quick algebra, but she prefers differentials as the answer in order for us to get used to Calculus, so that's the route I'd like to take it

A pendulum made from a string and small metal ball swings back and forth. The formula for its period is given by the following: T = 2*pi*sqrt(L/g), where T is the period, pi is a constant, L is the length of the string and g is the gravitational force acting on it. In this situation, do not assume gravity is under the constant of 980 cm/s^2.

Solve the following problems:

A) Suppose the value of T is measured exactly (100%), but L is off by 1%. How much will g be off by?
B) Suppose that the value of L is measured exactly (100%), but T is off by 1%. How much will g be off by?

Homework Equations

T = 2*pi*sqrt(L/g)
Chain Rule
Product Rule
Quotient Rule
Power Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

A) T = 2pi*(0.99L/g)^.5
T' = 2pi * .5 * (0.99L/g)^-.5 * [(0.99g-0.99Lg')/g^2]
Then after lots of cancelling out:
T' = [pi(g - Lg')]/Lg
g' = [(LgT'/pi) - g] / -L

B) 0.99T = 2pi*(0.99L/g)^.5
0.99 = [(pi)(gL'-Lg')] / Lg
g' = -g[(0.99/pi) - (L'/L)]

I have no idea if I did this right, or if I even answered my question correctly (since I don't even have a percentage... so I don't really know :/ ), so any help is appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by re-arranging the original equation for ##g##.

PeroK said:
I would start by re-arranging the original equation for ##g##.

Thanks, so g = L / (T/2pi)^2 ... then what do I do? >.<

brinstar said:
Thanks, so g = L / (T/2pi)^2 ... then what do I do? >.<

I thought you said you were supposed to use some calculus?

Oh! Well that's kind of where I ended up in the answer I put in, except I rearranged everything at the end of the process instead.

brinstar said:
Oh! Well that's kind of where I ended up in the answer I put in, except I rearranged everything at the end of the process instead.

You didn't use differentials.

PeroK said:
You didn't use differentials.

Isn't a differential the same as a derivative, though? That's as far as I know from my Calc class.

brinstar said:
Isn't a differential the same as a derivative, though? That's as far as I know from my Calc class.

Not quite. Think ##\frac{dg}{dL}##

PeroK said:
Not quite. Think ##\frac{dg}{dL}##

So the derivative of g with respect to l?... But then what do I do with T?

brinstar said:
So the derivative of g with respect to l?... But then what do I do with T?

##T## is constant (for the time being). That's what the question tells you. Do ##L## first with ##T## constant, then try ##T## with ##L## constant.

So... is this more like related rates or something like that?

g = L / (T/2pi)^2 = L (T/2pi)^-2
dg/dL = [dL/dL*(T/2pi)^-2] + [L*-2(T/2pi)*{(0*dT/dL - T*0)/(2pi)^2}]
dg/dL = (T/2pi)^-2

So if T is a constant and constants go to zero despite the dT/dL, is this undeterminable then?

brinstar said:
So... is this more like related rates or something like that?

g = L / (T/2pi)^2 = L (T/2pi)^-2
dg/dL = [dL/dL*(T/2pi)^-2] + [L*-2(T/2pi)*{(0*dT/dL - T*0)/(2pi)^2}]
dg/dL = (T/2pi)^-2

So if T is a constant and constants go to zero despite the dT/dL, is this undeterminable then?

First, let me show you the answer!

##g = \frac{4\pi^2}{T^2}L##

If ##T## is constant, ##g## is proportional to ##L## and a 1% change in ##L## causes a 1% change in ##g##. That was easy! That's why I think your teacher wanted you to use calculus to get used to using differentials. You need to figure out how to use differentials to show this.

You got as far as:

##\frac{dg}{dL} = \frac{4\pi^2}{T^2}##

Another hint is how to express a percentage change in a variable using differentials. If you think of ##dL## as a small change in ##L##, then ##\frac{dL}{L}## is the proportional change in ##L##. Does that help?

I'm going offline now. Maybe someone else can help if you need a bit more advice.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
First, let me show you the answer!

##g = \frac{4\pi^2}{T^2}L##

If ##T## is constant, ##g## is proportional to ##L## and a 1% change in ##L## causes a 1% change in ##g##. That was easy! That's why I think your teacher wanted you to use calculus to get used to using differentials. You need to figure out how to use differentials to show this.

You got as far as:

##\frac{dg}{dL} = \frac{4\pi^2}{T^2}##

Another hint is how to express a percentage change in a variable using differentials. If you think of ##dL## as a small change in ##L##, then ##\frac{dL}{L}## is the proportional change in ##L##. Does that help?

I'm going offline now. Maybe someone else can help if you need a bit more advice.

Ah okay, I think I'm starting to see it. I think your hints enough have helped me. I'm going to brush up on differential skills after this (clearly, I'm lacking), but this is a good start. :-) Thank you!

Related to Differentiation and Simple Pendulums

What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. It is used to analyze the slope or curvature of a curve, and is an important tool in calculus and physics.

How is differentiation used in physics?

In physics, differentiation is used to analyze the motion of objects by finding the velocity and acceleration of an object at any given point in time. It is also used to calculate the rate of change of other physical quantities, such as displacement, force, and energy.

What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is free to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. It is a simple and idealized system that is often used in physics to demonstrate the principles of oscillatory motion.

How is a simple pendulum's motion affected by its length?

The length of a simple pendulum affects its period, or the time it takes for one complete oscillation. A longer pendulum will have a longer period and a slower swing, while a shorter pendulum will have a shorter period and a faster swing. The relationship between length and period is nonlinear and follows a mathematical formula known as the "pendulum equation".

What factors can affect the motion of a simple pendulum?

The motion of a simple pendulum can be affected by factors such as the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, the amplitude of the swing, and the presence of air resistance. It can also be affected by external forces, such as friction or a slight push on the weight.