Differentiation and integration of implicit functions

In summary: For my initial problem:##xy+cos y+6xy^2=0## we have ## dy/dx= -(6y^2+y)/x-siny+12xy## to get original function i now re-arrange the terms to have ##xdy-siny dy+12xy dy=-(6y^2dx+ydx) ## integrating the lhs yields the required solution.
chwala
Gold Member
1. Given the function ##xy+cos y+6xy^2=0## , it follows that ## dy/dx=-y/x-siny+12xy##2. My problem is how do we integrate this derivative ## dy/dx=-y/x-siny+12xy## to get back the original function3.## ∫dy/dx dx=y ##

Physics news on Phys.org
For your dy/dx, you might have missed one application of the product rule.
I get:
## y + x\frac{dy}{dx}-\sin (y) \frac{dy}{dx}+6y^2 +12xy \frac{dy}{dx}= 0 \\ \frac{dy}{dx}(x-\sin(y)+12xy)=-(6y^2+y)\\ \frac{dy}{dx} = - \frac{6y^2+y}{x-\sin(y)+12xy}##
That might be why you are having trouble recovering the original function.

In general to take the integral, your goal would be to separate the dy and dx and integrate separately. Then you can retrieve the original function with the addition of some extra parts that would have been driven to zero by the derivative.
In applications, exact recovery would only be feasible if you had some additional information about the function (e.g. boundary conditions)

Hi chwala:

The equation you got for the derivative dy/dx is not right. My guess is that when you differentiated
xy+cosy+6xy2=0​
with respect to x, you forgot that "x" is also a function of x, and/or you forgot about differentiating a product of two functions.

Also, what you said in (2.) about what "My problem is" is unclear. I am guessing that what you want is to solve the original equation for y as a function of x, and you are using a method to find an expression for dy/dx which you can integrate to get this function.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Agreed, I have seen my mistake, thanks to Ruber and Buzz. Generally are we saying that the general rule for these kind of derivatives,is to use separation of variables to get original function?

That is always the first thing to try.

Thanks let me try and see...

chwala said:
1. Given the function ##xy+cos y+6xy^2=0## , it follows that ## dy/dx=-y/x-siny+12xy##2. My problem is how do we integrate this derivative ## dy/dx=-y/x-siny+12xy## to get back the original function3.## ∫dy/dx dx=y ##
@chwala, when you post a question, please do not delete the homework template. Its use is required.

Ok ok point noted.

chwala said:
Ok ok point noted.
I came up with this other implicit problem ## x^2y+x cos y = 6x## it follows that the derivative ## dy/dx= 6-2xy-cosy/x^2-xsin y ## now in getting the original function ##y## , i separated the terms as follows ## 2xy dx + x^2dy+cosy dx - x siny dy= 6dx## which is an exact equation of the form ## M(x,y) dx + N(x,y) dy = 0## for lhs integrating this will give you the original function ##y##. I hope i have posted in the right place advice if otherwise.

chwala said:
I came up with this other implicit problem ## x^2y+x cos y = 6x## it follows that the derivative ## dy/dx= 6-2xy-cosy/x^2-xsin y ## now in getting the original function ##y## , i separated the terms as follows ## 2xy dx + x^2dy+cosy dx - x siny dy= 6dx## which is an exact equation of the form ## M(x,y) dx + N(x,y) dy = 0## for lhs integrating this will give you the original function ##y##. I hope i have posted in the right place advice if otherwise.

Now for my initial problem:
##xy+cos y+6xy^2=0## we have ## dy/dx= -(6y^2+y)/x-siny+12xy## to get original function i now re-arrange the terms to have ##xdy-siny dy+12xy dy=-(6y^2dx+ydx) ## integrating the lhs yields the required solution.

Related to Differentiation and integration of implicit functions

1. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are two fundamental concepts in calculus. Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function, while integration is the process of finding the area under a curve of a function. In simple terms, differentiation is about finding the slope of a curve, while integration is about finding the area under the curve.

2. What is an implicit function?

An implicit function is a mathematical equation in which the dependent variable is not explicitly expressed in terms of the independent variable. This means that the function cannot be easily solved for one variable, and instead, the equation represents a relationship between the variables.

3. How do you differentiate an implicit function?

To differentiate an implicit function, you can use the implicit differentiation method. This involves differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to the variable you want to find the derivative of. Then, you can solve for the derivative using algebraic manipulation.

4. What is the purpose of differentiating and integrating implicit functions?

Differentiating and integrating implicit functions can help us understand the relationship between the variables in a given equation. It is also useful in solving problems involving rates of change, optimization, and finding the area under a curve.

5. Can implicit functions be differentiated and integrated in the same way as explicit functions?

No, implicit functions require a different method for differentiation and integration compared to explicit functions. This is because the dependent variable is not explicitly expressed in terms of the independent variable. However, the same rules of differentiation and integration still apply, and the final result will be an expression involving the derivative of the implicit function.