Differentiating to find one unknown function out of three?

In summary, differentiating the function to find the slope would not work because the slope is 0 for the given points.
mimi.janson
differentiating to find one unknown function out of three??

Homework Statement

Hi everyone

I need some help with a question that i have solved yet i find it hard to understand.

I have three given functions in the picture attached. All three consist of one single graph. And they give me the functions for two parts whereas i have to find out the last one which is the parable.

Homework Equations

I needed to differentiate what i already had given, since i wanted to find the slope of the functions since i also know that where one function stops and the other begins i have the same slope.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it by saying that g(x)=ax^2+bx+c

then i differentiate it and it becomes:

g'(x)=2ax+b

i now look at the first function f(x)=-1 is f^' (x)=0 this means that the slope for this function is 0.

the slope for the points (-2;0) must therefore also be 0.

i put this in the parable function

g'(x)=2ax+b
g'(-2)=-4a+b=0

then i know that in the points (0;0) the slope of the parable must be the same as the one for h(x)

i have to find h'(0) and it won't work unless i get it to be h'(0)=1=b but i don't get 1 since i say h'(0)=0,006*0^2-0,18
h'(0)=-0,18

the end result should be g(x) = 1/4 x + x

what is wrong where i stop up ? can someone please tell my why i won't get it right..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

This is very hard to follow. Could you please post the question you're trying to answer in its entirety? And it's called a parabola, not a parable.

mimi.janson said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone

I need some help with a question that i have solved yet i find it hard to understand.

I have three given functions in the picture attached. All three consist of one single graph. And they give me the functions for two parts whereas i have to find out the last one which is the parable.

Homework Equations

I needed to differentiate what i already had given, since i wanted to find the slope of the functions since i also know that where one function stops and the other begins i have the same slope.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it by saying that g(x)=ax^2+bx+c

then i differentiate it and it becomes:

g'(x)=2ax+b

i now look at the first function f(x)=-1 is f^' (x)=0 this means that the slope for this function is 0.

the slope for the points (-2;0) must therefore also be 0.

i put this in the parable function

g'(x)=2ax+b
g'(-2)=-4a+b=0

then i know that in the points (0;0) the slope of the parable must be the same as the one for h(x)

i have to find h'(0) and it won't work unless i get it to be h'(0)=1=b but i don't get 1 since i say h'(0)=0,006*0^2-0,18
h'(0)=-0,18

the end result should be g(x) = 1/4 x + x

what is wrong where i stop up ? can someone please tell my why i won't get it right..

I do not see any attached picture.

I am assuming that when you say "i", you are referring to yourself rather than the square root of -1. I guess you mean "I".

I find it impossible to follow what you are doing.

RGV

Last edited:

Related to Differentiating to find one unknown function out of three?

1. What is the purpose of differentiating to find one unknown function out of three?

Differentiating to find one unknown function out of three is a mathematical process used to determine the relationship between three variables. It allows scientists to analyze how changes in one variable affect the other two and can be used to model and predict various phenomena in the natural world.

2. How does differentiating to find one unknown function out of three work?

Differentiating to find one unknown function out of three involves using calculus to find the derivative of one variable with respect to another. This is done by taking the derivative of each variable separately and then solving for the unknown function using algebraic manipulation.

3. What are some real-world applications of differentiating to find one unknown function out of three?

This process is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to study the relationships between physical quantities. It can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as chemical reactions, electric circuits, and biological processes.

4. Are there any limitations to differentiating to find one unknown function out of three?

While this process is a powerful tool for understanding relationships between variables, it does have its limitations. It may not always be possible to find a single unknown function from three variables, and the accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the initial data and assumptions made.

5. Can differentiating to find one unknown function out of three be used in other areas of science?

Yes, differentiating to find one unknown function out of three is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used extensively in many areas of science, including economics, biology, and computer science. It is a valuable tool for analyzing and understanding complex systems and relationships between variables.