Differential Geometry Problems (2)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving Frenet formulas and using them to find the curvature and torsion. The first part is solved successfully, but the second part is causing difficulties. The second part involves a theorem about constant speed space curves and generalized helixes, but the person is unsure how to use it to solve the problem. They also ask for clarification on the forum rules regarding bumping posts.
septimus

Homework Statement

zo6r1w.gif

29xx6pz.gif

Homework Equations

Frenet Formulas, definitions of curvature, torsion and generalized helix

The Attempt at a Solution

for 1)
I think I got part A down - I had α = λT + µN + νT, took the derivatives and plugged in the Frenet formulas to get:
λ′ − µκ − 1 = 0,
µ′ + λκ + ντ = 0
ν ′ − µτ = 0.
and i solved for τ and κ.

However, I'm having trouble with part B. I assume for part B, I should take the derivative of α = λT + µN + νT again, and use Frenet formulas to prove that this is equal to zero, but the algebra is not working out for me. Could anyone give me some hints or tips?

for 2)
I really don't know how to go about solving this problem; i was thinking of using this theorem

" a constant speed space curve p (t) is a generalized helix if and only if in a suitable orthogonal coordinate system the following holds
p(t)=q(t)+ct e'_3,
where q(t) is a constant speed curve in the x'y'-plane with curvature being nonzero everywhere, and c is a constant. Here e'_3 denotes the unit vector in the z'-direction."

but it doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.

-
ANY help would be really appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
also curious: are we allowed to bump our posts?

thank you.

Related to Differential Geometry Problems (2)

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves, surfaces, and higher-dimensional objects using calculus and differential equations.

2. What are some real-world applications of differential geometry?

Differential geometry has many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Examples include the study of space-time in general relativity, the analysis of surfaces in fluid mechanics, and the creation of 3D models in computer animation.

3. What are some common problems in differential geometry?

Common problems in differential geometry include finding the curvature and geodesics of a given surface, determining the shape of a curve in a given space, and studying the topology and symmetries of a geometric object.

4. What skills are needed to excel in differential geometry?

To excel in differential geometry, one needs a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Familiarity with abstract mathematical concepts and the ability to think geometrically are also important skills.

5. Are there any open problems in differential geometry?

Yes, there are many open problems in differential geometry, some of which have been unsolved for decades. These include the Poincaré conjecture, the Yamabe problem, and the Willmore conjecture. Solving these problems would have significant implications in mathematics and physics.