Differential geometry hypersurface problem - starting

In summary, the problem asks to show that the set of points given by the graph of a smooth function f(x,y) can be viewed as a regular level surface. To do so, we need to show that not all partial derivatives of z-f(x,y) vanish at any point on the surface. The basis for the tangent space can be found using the partial derivatives of z-f(x,y), and a cover for the surface can be constructed by defining coordinate surface patches.
quasar_4
differential geometry hypersurface problem - need help starting!

1. Homework Statement [/b

Let [tex]f\in C^{\infty}[/tex][tex](R\R^{2})[/tex] and let S be the set of points in [tex]R\R^{3}[/tex] given the graph of f. Thus, [tex]s={{(x,y,z=f(x,y))|(x,y)\in[/tex][tex]R\R^{2}}[/tex].

a) Show that this set of points can be viewed as a regular level surface.

b) Let X=(x,y,z) be a point on this surface. Find a basis for the tangent space TxS.

c) Give a cover for this surface.

Homework Equations

Ehm. Not really "equations", per se. We will need the coordinate basis for R3 which is [tex]\partial[/tex]x, [tex]\partial[/tex]y, [tex]\partial[/tex]z.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am soo, so confused. I guess our F=f(x,y). To show that something is a regular level surface, I believe that we have to show that not all partial derivatives vanish at the point x on the surface. If we had an actual f(x,y) I would compute F*, the differential, and show that it is not simultaneously 0 at some point x on the surface. But, we don't have an explicit f(x,y). So I have no idea how to show this, or to show equivalently, the the mapping from TxU (for our open set U) to T[tex]_{F(x)}[/tex]S is surjective.

I am TOTALLY lost as to how to come up with a basis. It seems that we should compute the kernel of F* and its basis, but I'm not clear on what we do with this basis.

If I could figure out parts a and b, I MIGHT be able to figure out part c. I know that a cover is the union of surface patches. But then I'd have to start by making coordinate surface patches first... would I be defining some map or something??

I'm terribly confused. If anyone can help that would be marvelous!

Physics news on Phys.org
quasar_4 said:
1. Homework Statement [/b

Let [tex]f\in C^{\infty}[/tex][tex](R\R^{2})[/tex] and let S be the set of points in [tex]R\R^{3}[/tex] given the graph of f. Thus, [tex]s={{(x,y,z=f(x,y))|(x,y)\in[/tex][tex]R\R^{2}}[/tex].

a) Show that this set of points can be viewed as a regular level surface.

b) Let X=(x,y,z) be a point on this surface. Find a basis for the tangent space TxS.

c) Give a cover for this surface.

Homework Equations

Ehm. Not really "equations", per se. We will need the coordinate basis for R3 which is [tex]\partial[/tex]x, [tex]\partial[/tex]y, [tex]\partial[/tex]z.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am soo, so confused. I guess our F=f(x,y).

No. A "level curve" for a function f(x,y) would be a curve in the xy-plane. In order that a surface in 3 dimensions be a level surface, it must be of the form F(x,y,z)= constant. In this case, given z= f(x,y), you know that z-f(x,y)= 0.

To show that something is a regular level surface, I believe that we have to show that not all partial derivatives vanish at the point x on the surface. If we had an actual f(x,y) I would compute F*, the differential, and show that it is not simultaneously 0 at some point x on the surface. But, we don't have an explicit f(x,y). So I have no idea how to show this, or to show equivalently, the the mapping from TxU (for our open set U) to T[tex]_{F(x)}[/tex]S is surjective.
What can you say about the partial derivatives of z-f(x,y)?

I am TOTALLY lost as to how to come up with a basis. It seems that we should compute the kernel of F* and its basis, but I'm not clear on what we do with this basis.
Given that the surface is defined by z= f(x,y), any tangent vector is of the form [itex]\vec{i}+ f_x\vec{k}[/itex] or [tex]\vec{i}+ f_y\vec{k}[/itex].

If I could figure out parts a and b, I MIGHT be able to figure out part c. I know that a cover is the union of surface patches. But then I'd have to start by making coordinate surface patches first... would I be defining some map or something??

I'm terribly confused. If anyone can help that would be marvelous!

Related to Differential geometry hypersurface problem - starting

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of curves, surfaces, and other higher-dimensional objects using techniques from calculus, linear algebra, and topology. It focuses on the properties of these objects that do not change under smooth transformations, such as bending and stretching.

2. What is a hypersurface?

A hypersurface is a mathematical term for a surface in a higher-dimensional space. It can be defined as the set of points where a function of several variables is equal to a constant value. In other words, it is a generalization of a two-dimensional surface in three-dimensional space to higher dimensions.

3. What is the differential geometry hypersurface problem?

The differential geometry hypersurface problem is a fundamental problem in differential geometry that involves studying the properties of hypersurfaces, such as their curvature, geodesics, and other geometric invariants. It has applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. What are some common techniques used to study the differential geometry hypersurface problem?

Some common techniques used to study the differential geometry hypersurface problem include differential calculus, Riemannian geometry, and variational methods. These techniques help in understanding the geometric properties of hypersurfaces and finding solutions to specific problems related to them.

5. What are some real-world applications of the differential geometry hypersurface problem?

The differential geometry hypersurface problem has various real-world applications, including in physics, where it is used to study the behavior of space-time in general relativity. It is also used in computer graphics to model and render complex surfaces, such as those found in computer-aided design and animation. In engineering, it is used to analyze the shape and properties of structures, such as bridges and buildings.