Differential geometry for Machine Learning

In summary, the discussion revolves around the speaker's goal of conducting research in Machine Learning and Reinforcement Learning, specifically in the field of Information Geometry. However, the speaker is struggling with the multidisciplinary nature of their field and the lack of clarity on what mathematical topics to study. They are currently interested in Differential Geometry and have watched some lectures on the topic, but feel that the courses are either too shallow or too technical. They are also looking for a book on the topic and have found one that may be helpful. Additionally, they share a resource on Discrete Differential Geometry that they find understandable and may aid in understanding concepts related to Differential Geometry.
kiuhnm
My goal is to do research in Machine Learning (ML) and Reinforcement Learning (RL) in particular.
The problem with my field is that it's hugely multidisciplinary and it's not entirely clear what one should study on the mathematical side apart from multivariable calculus, linear algebra, probability, statistics and convex optimization.

Right now I'm interested in Information Geometry which is basically Differential Geometry with the Fisher metric. Here's a reference: https://metacademy.org/roadmaps/rgrosse/dgml
I'd like to know more about that topic, but to do that I need to first learn about Differential Geometry.
I think the author of that page underestimates the complexity of the task of learning all that in a useful way for doing research.

I watched the first 3 lectures of this course:

The teacher is great but the course is too shallow. I can understand all he says, but I miss my theorems and proofs. On the other hand I don't want to get John-M-Lee technical.

There's also another course by the same guy:

This one looks more in depth, but I still miss a book for the exercises and more examples.

What about the following book?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521829607/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Differential geometry for Machine Learning

What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces in space using the tools of calculus and linear algebra. It provides a geometric framework for understanding the behavior of objects in different dimensions.

How is differential geometry used in machine learning?

Differential geometry is used in machine learning to analyze and model complex data sets. By applying geometric concepts, such as curvature and distance, to data points, differential geometry can help identify patterns and relationships between variables, leading to more accurate predictions and classifications.

What are some common applications of differential geometry in machine learning?

Differential geometry has many applications in machine learning, such as dimensionality reduction, manifold learning, and deep learning. It can also be used for tasks like image recognition, natural language processing, and anomaly detection.

Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to understand differential geometry for machine learning?

While a strong understanding of mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, can be helpful in understanding the concepts of differential geometry, it is not necessary to have a deep mathematical background to grasp its applications in machine learning. Many machine learning algorithms that use differential geometry have user-friendly implementations that do not require extensive mathematical knowledge.

What are some resources for learning more about differential geometry for machine learning?

There are many resources available for learning about differential geometry for machine learning, including textbooks, online courses, and tutorials. Some popular resources include "Differential Geometry and its Applications" by John Oprea and "Geometric Deep Learning" by Michael Bronstein. Online platforms like Coursera, edX, and Udemy also offer courses on this topic.