Differential Geometry book with tensor calculus

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book that covers both tensor calculus and surfaces, in addition to the current book being used (Do Carmo's book on differential geometry). The speaker mentions Bishop and Goldberg's Tensor Analysis on Manifolds as a good companion book, and also suggests a book with computer codes and a corresponding website.
Jianphys17
Hi, there is a book of dg of surfaces that is also about tensor calculus ?
Currently i study with Do Carmo, but i am looking for a text that there is also the tensor calculus!

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Your goals? Your background knowledge? Your preferences in books?

sorry i was wrong, now i know what i try ! :sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::frown::frown:

Bishop and Goldberg's Tensor Analysis on Manifolds is a good companion book when studying differential geometry.

Likes Jianphys17

Related to Differential Geometry book with tensor calculus

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces in space using tools from calculus and linear algebra. It is widely used in physics, engineering, and other fields to describe the shape and movement of objects.

2. What is tensor calculus?

Tensor calculus is a mathematical framework that extends the concepts of vectors and matrices to higher dimensions. It is used in differential geometry to describe the curvature and other geometric properties of objects in space.

3. How are differential geometry and tensor calculus related?

Differential geometry and tensor calculus are closely related because tensor calculus provides a mathematical language for describing the concepts and equations of differential geometry. Tensors are used to represent geometric quantities such as curvature and distance in a coordinate-independent way.

4. What are some real-world applications of differential geometry and tensor calculus?

Differential geometry and tensor calculus have many practical applications, such as in robotics, computer graphics, and machine learning. They are also used in fields like physics and engineering to model and analyze the behavior of physical systems.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand a differential geometry book with tensor calculus?

While a solid understanding of calculus and linear algebra is important for studying differential geometry and tensor calculus, many introductory textbooks are written in a way that is accessible to students with a basic understanding of these subjects. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn the fundamentals of these mathematical tools.