Differential geometry and hamiltonian dynamics

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the nature of the isomorphism between tangent and cotangent spaces established by an inner product and symplectic form, and the relationship between the invariance of the symplectic form under Hamiltonian flows and Liouville's theorem. The symplectic form is equivalent to the volume form in phase space and its invariance means the phase space volume is preserved.
luisgml_2000
Hello everybody!

I'm currently attending lectures on Hamiltonian dynamics from a very mathematical viewpoint and I'm having trouble understanding two facts:

1. An inner product defined in every tangent space and a symplectic form both establish a natural isomorphism between tangent and contanget spaces. My question is: what is the nature of this isomorphism?

2. The relationship between the invariance of the symplectic form under a hamiltonian flux and the Liouville theorem.

Can someone help me out? Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
luisgml_2000 said:
1. An inner product defined in every tangent space and a symplectic form both establish a natural isomorphism between tangent and contanget spaces. My question is: what is the nature of this isomorphism?

This is easiest to show using the inner product: Let [itex]\alpha[/itex] be an element of the cotangent space, and v be an element of the tangent space. Say the tangent space has some inner product [itex]g(\cdot,\cdot)[/itex]. Then we can associate [itex]\alpha[/itex] to some element A of the tangent space via

[tex]\alpha(u) = g(A,u)[/tex]

for all vectors u. Using the symplectic form is similar; we just put

[tex]\alpha(u) = \omega(A,u)[/tex]

for all vectors u.

2. The relationship between the invariance of the symplectic form under a hamiltonian flux and the Liouville theorem.

The symplectic form is simply the volume element in phase space. The invariance of the symplectic form under the action of the Hamiltonian is equivalent to saying the phase space "fluid" is incompressible; i.e., the infinitesimal bits of volume do not change in size. I can't say much more without knowing which variant of the Liouville theorem you're familiar with; sometimes, the Liouville theorem simply IS the statement that the symplectic form is invariant under Hamiltonian flows.

Ben Niehoff said:
I can't say much more without knowing which variant of the Liouville theorem you're familiar with.

The version of Liouville's theorem I'm familiar with is: a hamiltonian flux preserves volume in phase space.

One more thing: why a symplectic form is the volume in phase space?

I was slightly wrong; the symplectic form is not identical to the volume form. Rather, in a system of N coordinates and N momenta, the Nth exterior power of the symplectic form is proportional to the volume form. Hence if the symplectic form is invariant, the phase space volume must also be invariant.

Related to Differential geometry and hamiltonian dynamics

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the geometric properties of smooth curves and surfaces. It uses tools from calculus and linear algebra to analyze and describe the shape, curvature, and other geometric features of these objects.

2. How is differential geometry related to Hamiltonian dynamics?

Hamiltonian dynamics is a framework for describing the motion of particles or systems in terms of their position and momentum. Differential geometry provides the mathematical tools, such as differential equations and manifold theory, used to formulate and analyze Hamiltonian systems.

3. What is a Hamiltonian function?

A Hamiltonian function is a mathematical function that describes the energy of a physical system in terms of its position and momentum coordinates. It plays a central role in Hamiltonian dynamics and is used to derive the equations of motion for a system.

4. How is Hamiltonian dynamics used in physics?

Hamiltonian dynamics is used in physics to describe the behavior of a variety of systems, from simple particles to complex systems like galaxies. It has applications in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics, among others.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential geometry and Hamiltonian dynamics?

Differential geometry and Hamiltonian dynamics have numerous practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model and simulate the behavior of physical systems, design efficient algorithms, and analyze data from experiments or observations.