Differential form of Gauss' law: All three terms the same value?

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of the Maxwell equation, specifically the stronger form which includes the partial derivative of the electric field. The participants also discuss the idea of separating the electric field into three component fields and the concept of scalar and vector quantities in relation to electric fields. They also mention the importance of understanding linear algebra and vector analysis before studying electromagnetism. Ultimately, they conclude that the electric field of a point charge is not isotropic and that the field of a dipole is not isotropic either.
greypilgrim
Hi.

Is the Maxwell equation
$$\nabla\cdot\vec{E}=\frac{\rho}{\varepsilon_0}$$
even true in the stronger form
$$\frac{\partial E_i}{\partial x_i}=\frac{\rho}{3\cdot\varepsilon_0}\enspace ?$$
I guess not, since I haven't found a source suggesting this. But shouldn't the isotropic electric field of a point charge change the total electric field in all directions by the same amount?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, why should that hold? It's better to think about the divergence in terms of its coordinate-independent definition,
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}(\vec{x})=\lim_{\Delta V \rightarrow \{\vec{x} \} }\int_{\partial \Delta V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f} \cdot \vec{E}.$$

My idea was somehow as follows: Since the electric field of a point charge is isotropic and everything is linear, shouldn't it be possible to separate its field into three component fields where every one of those fields only has field vectors in one coordinate direction? And since everything can be thought of as made up by point charges (delta distribution), this would translate to any charge distributions and fields.

While you could separate the electric field into components, what you are actually getting from this equation is a scalar that tells you the flux density by volume.
It will be the same regardless of dimension, plus the charge itself can't be separated into vectors as it is a scalar as well. You don't get a third of electric field in each axis, the coordinates share components using trigonometry.

I would suggest going through linear algebra and vector analysis before tackling electromagnetism, I think there is a salad here.

Take he Coulomb field as an example,
$$\vec{E}=\frac{q}{4 \pi} \frac{\vec{x}}{r^3}.$$
Then
$$\partial_x E_x=\frac{q}{4 \pi} \frac{-2x^2+y^2+z^3}{r^5},$$
but
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=0, \quad \vec{x} \neq 0.$$

The field of a dipole is not isotropic.

The OP was taking about the Coulomb not a dipole field. Of course, also for the dipole field you have ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=0## except at the place of the dipole, where the field is singular.

Related to Differential form of Gauss' law: All three terms the same value?

1. What is the differential form of Gauss' law?

The differential form of Gauss' law is a mathematical expression that relates the electric field at a point to the charge density in that region.

2. How is the differential form of Gauss' law different from the integral form?

The integral form of Gauss' law represents the total electric flux through a closed surface, while the differential form represents the electric field at a specific point in space.

3. Why are all three terms in the differential form of Gauss' law equal in value?

This is because the electric field is a continuous function, meaning that the charge density at a specific point is affected by all the charge within a given volume, not just the charge at that exact point.

4. How is the differential form of Gauss' law used in practical applications?

The differential form of Gauss' law is used to calculate the electric field at a specific point in space, which is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of electrically charged particles and systems.

5. Can the differential form of Gauss' law be applied to non-uniform electric fields?

Yes, the differential form of Gauss' law can be extended to non-uniform electric fields by using the divergence theorem to convert it into an integral form.