Differential equations - solving initial value problem

In summary: In that case, the interval in which the solution exists depends on the initial value y0, as it must satisfy the condition (y_0)^2 - 4t^2 >= 0. Therefore, the interval in which the solution exists is given by [-y_0/2, y_0/2].
DWill

Homework Statement

Solve the given initial value problem and determine how the interval in which the solution exists depends on the initial value y0.

y' = -4t/y, y(0) = y0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the DE and got to:

y = +/- sqrt(C - 4t^2)

Plugging in y_0 for y when t = 0, I get:

y = +/- sqrt( (y_0)^2 - 4t^2 )

I'm pretty sure this is the right, but how do I answer the last part of the question? Figuring out the how the interval depends on initial value? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
DWill said:

Homework Statement

Solve the given initial value problem and determine how the interval in which the solution exists depends on the initial value y0.

y' = -4t/y, y(0) = y0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the DE and got to:

y = +/- sqrt(C - 4t^2)

Plugging in y_0 for y when t = 0, I get:

y = +/- sqrt( (y_0)^2 - 4t^2 )

I'm pretty sure this is the right, but how do I answer the last part of the question? Figuring out the how the interval depends on initial value? thanks
Usually, unless stated otherwise, one would assume that the solution must be real-valued.

Related to Differential equations - solving initial value problem

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives, which represent rates of change, to describe how a system changes over time.

2. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that requires an initial value or condition to be given. This initial value defines the starting point for the solution of the equation. The solution of an initial value problem is a function that satisfies the equation and the given initial value.

3. How do you solve an initial value problem?

To solve an initial value problem, you first need to determine the type of differential equation it is (e.g. linear, separable, etc.). Then, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution to solve the equation. Finally, you can use the given initial value to find the specific solution that satisfies the equation.

4. What are the applications of solving initial value problems?

Solving initial value problems is essential in many areas of science and engineering. It is used to model and analyze various systems and phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. It also has applications in physics, biology, economics, and more.

5. What are the challenges of solving initial value problems?

Solving initial value problems can be challenging due to the complexity of the equations and the various techniques that may be required to solve them. Additionally, finding the correct initial value and ensuring that the solution satisfies all conditions can also be difficult. It requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills.