Differential Equations, solve the following: y^(4) - y'' - 2y' +2y = 0

In summary: I said that it's not useful, in general, to approach a differential equation by factoring its associated polynomial. This is because finding the roots of a polynomial is not always feasible, and even when it is, the solutions may not be easy to deal with in practice. In these cases, other methods such as numerical solutions are often preferred.
komarxian

Homework Statement

Solve the following differential equations/initial value problem:

y^(4) - y'' - 2y' +2y = 0 Hint: e^-x sinx is a solution

Homework Equations

I was attempting to solve this problem by using a characteristic equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

y'''' -y'' -2y' + 2y = 0 --> r^4 -r^2 -2r +2 = 0

r^2(r^2 - 1) -2(r - 1) = 0

r^2 (r+1)(r-1) -2(r-1) = 0

(r^2(r+1) -2)(r-1) = 0

from this I get r = 1, but I know there are more solutions; How do I solve for the other solutions? And then write it as the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
komarxian said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

This isn't a useful approach, IMO, unless you are able to factor the cubic polynomial.
komarxian said:

(r^2(r+1) -2)(r-1) = 0

from this I get r = 1, but I know there are more solutions; How do I solve for the other solutions? And then write it as the solution?
Use the given hint. If ##y = e^{-x}\sin(x)## is a solution, then another solution is ##y = e^{-x}\cos(x)## is also a solution. This means that ##r_1 = -1 + i## and ##r_2 = -1 - i## are roots of some quadratic characteristic equation.

Likes komarxian
komarxian said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(r^2(r+1) -2)(r-1) = 0

You have ##p(r) \equiv r^2 - r^2 -2r+2 = (r-1)(r^3+r^2-2).## Notice that the polynomial ##q(r) = r^3+r^2 -2## has a root ##r = 1##, so ##(r-1)## is a factor. That gives ##q(r) = (r-1)(r^2+2r+2) ##, hence ##p(r) = (r-1)^2 (r^2+2r+2).## Thus, ##r=1## is a double root of ##p(r)## and the other roots are found by solving a simple quadratic equation.

Likes komarxian
Mark44 said:
This isn't a useful approach, IMO, unless you are able to factor the cubic polynomial.

Use the given hint. If ##y = e^{-x}\sin(x)## is a solution, then another solution is ##y = e^{-x}\cos(x)## is also a solution. This means that ##r_1 = -1 + i## and ##r_2 = -1 - i## are roots of some quadratic characteristic equation.
Thank you!

Ray Vickson said:
You have ##p(r) \equiv r^2 - r^2 -2r+2 = (r-1)(r^3+r^2-2).## Notice that the polynomial ##q(r) = r^3+r^2 -2## has a root ##r = 1##, so ##(r-1)## is a factor. That gives ##q(r) = (r-1)(r^2+2r+2) ##, hence ##p(r) = (r-1)^2 (r^2+2r+2).## Thus, ##r=1## is a double root of ##p(r)## and the other roots are found by solving a simple quadratic equation.
Thank you! I get it now; got to work on the algebra XD
I've got 99 problems and it's all algebra pretty much.

Mark44 said:

You say that solving the characteristic equation may not be useful. However, sometimes that's all you can do. For example, the differential equation ##y''' - 2 y''
+3 y' - 4 = 0## has characteristic equation ##r^3-2 r^2+3 r - 4 = 0##. This can be solve usingCardano's formulas (for example), but that is really not a useful way to go: numerical solutions are far preferable. That gives the solutions as ##y_1 = e^{rx},## ## y_2 = e^{\alpha x} \cos(\beta x)## and ##y_3 = e^{\alpha x} \sin(\beta x),## where ##r \doteq 1.650629192,## ##\alpha \doteq 0.1746854042## and ##\beta \doteq 1.546868888.##

Likes jim mcnamara
Ray Vickson said:
You say that solving the characteristic equation may not be useful. However, sometimes that's all you can do.
I didn't say that solving the char. equation wasn't useful in this case, if the OP wasn't able to get other solutions out of the remaining cubic polynomial.

Related to Differential Equations, solve the following: y^(4) - y'' - 2y' +2y = 0

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a variable to the value of the variable itself. It is commonly used in modeling physical, biological, and economic phenomena.

What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. In the given equation, the highest derivative is y^(4), so it is a fourth-order differential equation.

How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations depending on their type and order. For the given equation, one approach would be to use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters.

What is the general solution of a differential equation?

The general solution of a differential equation is a solution that contains all possible solutions of the equation. For the given equation, the general solution would be y = c1e^(-x) + c2e^(-2x) + c3e^(x) + c4e^(2x), where c1, c2, c3, and c4 are arbitrary constants.

What is a particular solution of a differential equation?

A particular solution of a differential equation is a solution that satisfies the equation for specific initial or boundary conditions. For the given equation, a particular solution could be y = e^(x), as it satisfies the equation when y(0) = 1 and y'(0) = 1.