Differential Equations - separable?

In summary, to solve the equation 2ty dy/dt = 3y^2 - t^2, the person tried to separate the equation by letting u = y/t and using the formula du/dt = (t dy/dt - y)/(t^2). They then plugged this back into the original equation and ended up with a separated equation of (u/(u^2-1)) du/dt = 1/2t. They asked if they were on the right track.
pian0forte

Homework Statement

Find the general solution, y

2ty dy/dt = 3y^2 - t^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I probably have to separate the equation and get y's one side in order to solve, but I'm stuck as to how to separate it. I tried letting u = y/t, so then

du/dt = (t dy/dt - y)/(t^2)
then dy/dt = t du/dt + u , so I plugged it back into the equation?

t du/dt + u = (3y^2 - t^2)/(2ty)
t du/dt + u = (3/2)u - (1/2u)

I can separate this into:
(u/(u^2-1)) du/dt = 1/2t

Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like your last line separates to
(u/(u^2-1))du = dt/(2t)

Related to Differential Equations - separable?

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of first-order differential equation that can be written in the form of dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) and g(y) are functions of x and y, respectively. This form allows the equation to be separated into two separate integrals, making it easier to solve.

2. How do you solve a separable differential equation?

To solve a separable differential equation, you can follow these steps:1. Rewrite the equation in the form dy/dx = f(x)g(y).2. Separate the variables by moving all terms involving y to one side and all terms involving x to the other.3. Integrate both sides with respect to x and y.4. Solve for y to get the general solution.5. If an initial condition is given, substitute it into the general solution to find the particular solution.

3. What is the difference between an explicit and implicit solution for a separable differential equation?

An explicit solution is one in which the dependent variable, y, is expressed solely in terms of the independent variable, x. In other words, y is isolated on one side of the equation. On the other hand, an implicit solution is one in which the dependent and independent variables are mixed together on both sides of the equation.

4. Can all differential equations be written in separable form?

No, not all differential equations can be written in separable form. Only first-order differential equations can be written in this form, and even then, not all of them can be separated. Some equations require more advanced techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to solve.

5. Why are separable differential equations important in science?

Separable differential equations are important in science because they allow us to model and understand many real-world phenomena. They are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology, to describe rates of change and how variables are related to each other. By solving these equations, we can make predictions and gain valuable insights into the behavior of systems in the natural world.