Differential Equations reduction of order

In summary, the problem requires finding y2 given a differential equation and y1(t). After manipulating the equation, it reduces to tu'+ u= 0, which is separable. By integrating and taking the exponential of both sides, the solution is y(t)= Cln(t)/t+ D/t.
iamtrojan3

Homework Statement

Find y2 given
t^2y'' + 3ty' + y = 0 y1(t) = 1/t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i found y, y' and y'' and plugged it back into the Differential equation,
after doing some work, I'm basicly down to
tv''+v' = 0
where y2 = v/t

so u = v' and u' = v'' Plugging that in...
tu' + u = 0
how would i solve this for u?
i think its separable equations but that would give me
du/-u = dt/t
which would be ln (u) = -ln(t) + c ... u = 1/t +c so v' = 1/t +c which means v = lnt
pluging v into y2 would give me lnt/t
Sorry its kind of confusing but the answer's not in the back of the book and i need to know if i did this right

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
iamtrojan3 said:

Homework Statement

Find y2 given
t^2y'' + 3ty' + y = 0 y1(t) = 1/t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i found y, y' and y'' and plugged it back into the Differential equation,
after doing some work, I'm basicly down to
tv''+v' = 0
where y2 = v/t

so u = v' and u' = v'' Plugging that in...
tu' + u = 0
how would i solve this for u?
i think its separable equations but that would give me
du/-u = dt/t
which would be ln (u) = -ln(t) + c ... u = 1/t +c so v' = 1/t +c which means v = lnt
pluging v into y2 would give me lnt/t
Sorry its kind of confusing but the answer's not in the back of the book and i need to know if i did this right

Thank you!
Yes, the problem reduces to tu'+ u= 0 which is separable: du/u= -dt/t. Integrating ln(u)= -ln(t)+ c and, taking the exponential of both sides u= C/t where C= ec. (Notice that the C is multiplied, not added: ea+c[/b]= eaec, not "ea+ c".)

The integral of u= v'= C/t is v(t)= Cln(t)+ D and then, since you made the reduction by assuming a solution of the form y= v(t)y1= v(t)(1/t), your general solution to the original differential equation is y(t)= Cln(t)/t+ D/t. How does that compare with the solution in the back of your book?

Related to Differential Equations reduction of order

1. What is the concept of reduction of order in differential equations?

The reduction of order is a technique used to solve second-order linear differential equations by converting them into first-order equations. This is done by introducing a new variable and using the known solution of one part of the equation to find the solution of the other part.

2. When is the reduction of order method used?

The reduction of order method is used when one solution of a second-order differential equation is known and we need to find the second solution. This is often the case when solving initial value problems or boundary value problems.

3. How is the reduction of order method applied?

To apply the reduction of order method, we first find the known solution of the differential equation. Then, we introduce a new variable u(x) and rewrite the differential equation in terms of u(x). We then solve the resulting first-order equation for u(x) and use it to find the second solution of the original differential equation.

4. Can the reduction of order method be used for non-linear differential equations?

No, the reduction of order method can only be used for linear differential equations. Non-linear differential equations require different techniques for solving them.

5. Are there any limitations to the reduction of order method?

Yes, the reduction of order method can only be used when one solution of the differential equation is known. If both solutions are unknown, other methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters must be used.