Differential equations power series method

In summary, to find the recurrence relation using the power series method for the given differential equation, one must set the first three terms of the series to zero. This will result in a_1=a_2=a_3=0. The only non-zero terms in the power series will be for n=0, 4, 8, etc. The differential equation can also be solved in closed form by expanding it as a series and comparing it to the series solution.
SpiffyEh

Homework Statement

using the power series method (centered at t=0) y'+t^3y = 0 find the recurrence relation

Homework Equations

y= [tex]\sum a_{n}t^{n}[/tex] from n=0 to infinity
y'= [tex]\sum na_{n}t^{n-1}[/tex] from n=1 to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

I went through and solved by putting the values from b into the equation and i got down to this:
a[tex]_{1}[/tex]+2a[tex]_{2}[/tex]t+3a[tex]_{3}[/tex]t[tex]^{2}[/tex]+[tex]\sum[na_{n}[/tex]+a[tex]_{n-4}][/tex]t[tex]^{n-1}[/tex] = 0

the 1 2 and 3 should be subscripted on a

I understand how to get an which i think i got right... i got a[tex]_{n}[/tex] = -a[tex]_{n-4}[/tex]/n whre n >= 4

But I don't understand what i do with the other part.. the a[tex]_{1}[/tex]+2a[tex]_{2}[/tex]t+3a[tex]_{3}[/tex]t[tex]^{2}[/tex]
Do i set it to 0 and solve for something? or do i set each individual component to 0. If i do ti this way and i find the power series solution by going through values of n until i find a pattern they all end up being 0 which can't be right. I'm completely lost.

Please let me know, this is due tomorrow and I have everything done except I don't understand what to do with this one. I just need to know what to do with that part, I can do the rest.

Thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
SpiffyEh said:

Homework Statement

using the power series method (centered at t=0) y'+t^3y = 0 find the recurrence relation

Homework Equations

y= [tex]\sum a_{n}t^{n}[/tex] from n=0 to infinity
y'= [tex]\sum na_{n}t^{n-1}[/tex] from n=1 to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

I went through and solved by putting the values from b into the equation and i got down to this:
a[tex]_{1}[/tex]+2a[tex]_{2}[/tex]t+3a[tex]_{3}[/tex]t[tex]^{2}[/tex]+[tex]\sum[na_{n}[/tex]+a[tex]_{n-4}][/tex]t[tex]^{n-1}[/tex] = 0

the 1 2 and 3 should be subscripted on a

I understand how to get an which i think i got right... i got a[tex]_{n}[/tex] = -a[tex]_{n-4}[/tex]/n whre n >= 4

But I don't understand what i do with the other part.. the a[tex]_{1}[/tex]+2a[tex]_{2}[/tex]t+3a[tex]_{3}[/tex]t[tex]^{2}[/tex]
Do i set it to 0 and solve for something? or do i set each individual component to 0. If i do ti this way and i find the power series solution by going through values of n until i find a pattern they all end up being 0 which can't be right. I'm completely lost.

Please let me know, this is due tomorrow and I have everything done except I don't understand what to do with this one. I just need to know what to do with that part, I can do the rest.

Thank you so much
You're right. You set the first three terms to zero, so you get [itex]a_1=a_2=a_3=0[/itex]. The only non-zero terms in your power series will therefore be for n=0, 4, 8, ...

This differential equation is separable, so you can find the solution in closed form. Expand it as a series and see if it matches what the series solution seems to be giving you.

Related to Differential equations power series method

What is the power series method for solving differential equations?

The power series method is a technique used to find the solution to a differential equation in the form of a power series. This involves representing the solution as an infinite sum of terms, each with a different power of the independent variable.

When is the power series method used?

The power series method is typically used when an analytical solution to a differential equation cannot be found through other methods, such as separation of variables or variation of parameters. It is also useful for solving nonlinear differential equations.

How does the power series method work?

The power series method works by substituting the power series representation of the solution into the differential equation, and then finding the coefficients of each term by equating the coefficients of like powers of the independent variable. The resulting series can then be simplified to find the solution.

What are the advantages of using the power series method?

One advantage of using the power series method is that it can be used to find solutions to a wide range of differential equations, including those that are nonlinear or have variable coefficients. Additionally, the method can often provide a more accurate solution compared to other approximation methods.

Are there any limitations to the power series method?

One limitation of the power series method is that it can only be used for equations with analytic solutions, meaning that the solution can be expressed as a power series. It may also be difficult to determine the convergence of the resulting series, which can impact the accuracy of the solution.