Differential equations: change of variables

In summary, change of variables is a tool used in solving differential equations. It involves substituting one variable for another in order to simplify the equation. The process involves using the chain rule to find the first and second derivatives of the new variable, and then substituting those into the original equation. It is a useful tool to have in your problem-solving "tool chest" and can be determined if it works by trying it out.
smithg86
can someone explain 'change of variables' to me? when do you use it, and why? (not to mention HOW you use it!) I'm taking an intro to DE course, and the textbook only mentions the idea in an exercise, not in the text itself. my prof never covered it in class, either.

for example, i was trying to solve this problem:
x^2y'' + 5xy' + (4 + pi^2)y = ln x
y(1) = y(e) = 0

a solution's manual told me to change variables:
let t = ln x

after a few lines, they simplified the original equation into:
y'' + 4y' + (4 + pi^2)y = t

can someone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
smithg86 said:
can someone explain 'change of variables' to me? when do you use it, and why? (not to mention HOW you use it!) I'm taking an intro to DE course, and the textbook only mentions the idea in an exercise, not in the text itself. my prof never covered it in class, either.

for example, i was trying to solve this problem:
x^2y'' + 5xy' + (4 + pi^2)y = ln x
y(1) = y(e) = 0

a solution's manual told me to change variables:
let t = ln x

after a few lines, they simplified the original equation into:
y'' + 4y' + (4 + pi^2)y = t

can someone explain this to me?
The best I can say about WHEN to use "change of variables" is "when it works!"- and you determine that by trying it and seeing if it works! In other words, it is one more tool you can have in your "tool chest".

As for HOW to do- use the chain rule. If y is a function of x and x is a function of t, then dy/dx= (dy/dt)(dt/dx). To get the second derivative do that again: d2y/dx2= d/dx [(dy)/dt)(dt/dx)].

In this particular case, t= ln x so dt/dx= 1/x. by the chain rule, dy/dx= (dy/dt)(dt/dx)= (1/x)(dy/dt). Differentiating again, d/dx(dy/dx)= d/dx((1/x)dy/dt). By the product rule, that is d(1/x)/dx(dy/dt)+ (1/x)(d(dy/dt)/dx)= (-1/x2)(dy/dt)+ (1/x)[(1/x)d(dy/dt)/dt)]= (1/x2)[d2y/dt2- dy/dt].
That is: dy/dx= (1/x)(dy/dt) and
d2y/dx2= (1/x2)(d2y/dt2- dy/dt). Put those into your differential equation and see what happens.

Related to Differential equations: change of variables

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a system changes over time. They involve derivatives, which represent rates of change, and are used to model a wide range of natural phenomena and physical processes.

2. What is the change of variables method in differential equations?

The change of variables method is a technique used to solve differential equations by substituting a new variable for the existing one. This allows for a simpler form of the equation, making it easier to solve or manipulate.

3. Why is the change of variables method useful?

The change of variables method can be useful in simplifying complex differential equations, making them easier to solve or analyze. It can also help to identify patterns or relationships between different variables in the equation.

4. What types of problems can be solved using the change of variables method?

The change of variables method can be applied to a variety of problems, including ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and boundary value problems. It is also commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the change of variables method?

While the change of variables method can be a powerful tool in solving differential equations, it may not always be applicable to every problem. Some equations may not lend themselves well to substitution, and in some cases, it may result in a more complicated equation than the original. Additionally, the choice of variable substitution can greatly affect the ease of solving the equation.