Differential equations assignment T6

In summary, the conversation was about a request for someone to check an assignment question. The task involved solving a differential equation for a given set of conditions. The solution provided included finding the constant values and using them to solve for the final equation. The person asking also shared their own method of checking the solution.
mathi85
Hi!

I would like to ask anyone with some spare time to check my assignment questions. Last time I was asked to post one task at a time so I will.
Thank you in advance for your time.

Task 6:

In a galvanometer the deflection θ satisfies the diffrential equation:

d2θ/dt2+2(dθ/dt)+θ=4

Solve the equation for θ given that when t=0, θ=0 and dθ/dt=0

Solution:

d2θ/dt2+2(dθ/dt)+θ=4

m2+2m+1=0

m=-1

CF:
∴u=(At+B)e-t

PI:
v=k
v'=0
v''=0

k+2(0)+0=4
k=4
∴v=4

GS:
θ=(At+B)e-t+4

0=(A(0)+B)e0+4
0=B+4
B=-4

dθ/dt=(At-4)(-e-t)+Ae-t
0=(A(0)-4)(-e0)+Ae0
0=4+A
A=-4

PS:
θ=(-4t-4)e-t+4

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if it's right but that's how I checked it:

θ=(At+B)e-t+4
dθ/dt=(At+B)(-e-t)+Ae-t
d2θ/dt2=(At+B)(e-t)+A(-e-t)-Ae-t

t=0
θ=0
dθ/dt=0
A=-4
B=-4

[d2θ/dt2=(At+B)(e-t)+A(-e-t)-Ae-t]+2[0]+[(At+B)e-t+4]=4

-4+4+4-4+4=4

Related to Differential equations assignment T6

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more variables and their rates of change, and is commonly used to model various real-world phenomena in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What is the purpose of studying differential equations?

The study of differential equations allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of systems that change over time. It is also a fundamental tool for solving many problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques, while others require numerical methods or computer simulations. Some common techniques for solving differential equations include separation of variables, integrating factors, and series solutions.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, biology, and chemistry. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems such as population growth, heat transfer, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

5. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve derivatives with respect to a single independent variable, while PDEs involve derivatives with respect to multiple independent variables. Other types of differential equations include linear and nonlinear, first-order and higher-order, and homogeneous and non-homogeneous.