Differential Equations and growth constant

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution for the equation dS/dt = kS - W, where k is the growth constant and W is a constant. The solution involves using the integrating factor and leads to the equation S = C3ekt + W/k. However, there is confusion about whether this solution is correct because it does not match the derivative S' = kS - W. It is then clarified that this solution does satisfy the original equation, as the +W and -W terms cancel out.
jofree87
dS/dt = kS - W

How do I solve this problem if k is the growth constant and W is also constant?

Here is what I have so far, but I don't think its quite right:

dS/dt = kS - W

(kS - W)-1dS = 1dt

1/k*ln(kS - W) = t + C

ln(kS - W) = kt + C1

kS - W = C2ekt

S = (C2ekt + W) / k

S = C3ekt + W/k

I think I did the math right but when I try plugging a few numbers in for the constant, the derivative doesn't match the function. Am I suppose to use the integrating factor for this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I did the math right but when I try plugging a few numbers in for the constant, the derivative doesn't match the function

But it does! Your solution satisfies the equation dS/dt = kS - W. Try plugging S into that equation; you'll see that both sides are equal.

ideasrule said:
But it does! Your solution satisfies the equation dS/dt = kS - W. Try plugging S into that equation; you'll see that both sides are equal.

Plug S into what equation?

I just think its wrong because if I take the derivative of S = C3ekt + W/k, then I would get S' = kekt, which isn't S' = kS - W. The W isn't suppose to disappear.

The term kS contributes a +W which cancels with the -W, leaving just the exponential.

Related to Differential Equations and growth constant

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes how a quantity changes over time or space, and is commonly used to model natural phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is a growth constant in a differential equation?

A growth constant, also known as a rate constant, is a constant value in a differential equation that determines the rate at which the quantity being modeled changes. It is usually represented by the letter 'k' and can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the type of growth or decay being modeled.

3. How is a growth constant determined?

The value of a growth constant is determined by the specific problem being modeled. It can be calculated using initial conditions, boundary conditions, and other information provided in the problem. In some cases, it may also be given or estimated based on real-world data.

4. What is the significance of a growth constant in a differential equation?

The growth constant is a crucial parameter in a differential equation as it determines the behavior of the system being modeled. It can determine whether the system will grow or decay, and at what rate. The value of the growth constant also affects the shape and slope of the solution curve of the differential equation.

5. How is a growth constant related to the concept of stability in a differential equation?

In a differential equation, the stability of a system refers to its tendency to return to its initial state after being perturbed. The value of the growth constant plays a significant role in determining the stability of a system. A positive growth constant indicates an unstable system, while a negative growth constant indicates a stable system. A zero growth constant indicates a critically stable system.