Differential equation with twosided decay exponential

In summary, the student attempted to solve a differential equation but when they plugged it back in, they only got the sine term. They evaluated the isolated sine term and then replaced all the t's with |t|'s in order to get the correct solution.
center o bass

Homework Statement

Solve
[tex]y''(t) - k^2 y(t) = e^{-a|t|}[/tex] where a and k are both positive and real.

Homework Equations

The solution was obtained trough a Fourier transform.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the solution

[tex]y(t) = \frac{ke^{-at} - ae^{-kt}}{k(a^2 - k^2)}[/tex]

but when i plug it back into the differential equation i just get
[tex]e^{-at}[/tex]
how could I get the absolute value back in there?

Might there be anything wrong with my solution procedure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start your solution again but branch it into two cases straight away, one for [itex] t\geq 0 [/itex] and another for [itex] t < 0 [/itex]. Solve them separately, then only at the end try to unify them into 1 solution.

Hmm.. Where might this branching take place? I considered to do a branch when i took the Fourier transform of [tex]e^{-a|t|}[/tex], but here i found that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a |t|}e^{-i \omega t} dt = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a |t|} ( \cos(\omega t) + i \sin (\omega t)) dt[/tex]

so the sine term drops out and since the rest of the integrand is even we're left with

[tex] 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-a t } \cos(\omega t) dt[/tex]

which I evaluated, isolated for [tex]Y(\omega)[/tex] and took the inverse transform.

I can't see anything wrong with that so frustratingly I can't see a mathematical reason as to why the solution only ending up solving correctly for half the domain. In any case though, to fix you solution you can just replace all t's with |t|'s .

That's very weird indeed. I know that I got the right transform.. and I don't see how that absolute value can appear in the inverse transform which is just
[tex]y(t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} Y(\omega) e^{i \omega} d\omega[/tex]
Well thanks for helping me out anyway! You've been really helpfull :)

Related to Differential equation with twosided decay exponential

1. What is a differential equation with twosided decay exponential?

A differential equation with twosided decay exponential is a mathematical equation that represents the rate of change of a variable over time, where the rate of change is proportional to the value of the variable itself. This type of differential equation is often used to model decay processes, such as radioactive decay or chemical reactions.

2. How do you solve a differential equation with twosided decay exponential?

To solve a differential equation with twosided decay exponential, you can use techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or the method of undetermined coefficients. It is also important to have a good understanding of the properties and behaviors of exponential functions.

3. What are the applications of differential equations with twosided decay exponential?

Differential equations with twosided decay exponential have many applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used to model physical phenomena such as population growth, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. They also have applications in economics, finance, and medicine.

4. How do you determine the stability of a solution to a differential equation with twosided decay exponential?

The stability of a solution to a differential equation with twosided decay exponential can be determined by examining the sign of the exponent in the equation. If the exponent is positive, the solution will grow without bound, indicating instability. If the exponent is negative, the solution will decay and approach zero, indicating stability.

5. Can a differential equation with twosided decay exponential have multiple solutions?

Yes, a differential equation with twosided decay exponential can have multiple solutions. This is known as the existence of multiple equilibria. The number of solutions depends on the initial conditions and the parameters in the equation. It is important to carefully consider all possible solutions when solving and interpreting a differential equation with twosided decay exponential.