Differential equation - Reduction of order

In summary, you can reduce the order of a differential equation by converting it to a two first order equations.
fineTuner
Hi,

i have to reduce the order of a 2nd order differential equation, to solve it with a numerical method.
The equation is:

[itex]\ddot{r}+a\dot{r}+\frac{b}{r^{2}}=0[/itex]

with [itex]a,b\geq0[/itex]

I tried to reduce it substituting [itex]\dot{r}=v[/itex], but i don't know what to do with the term [itex]\frac{b}{r^{2}}[/itex] .

Can someone explain me what i should do?

Thank you,

J.

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, you can't just reduce the order of a differential equation. What you can do is convert a second order equation to two first order differential equations or, equivalently to a two dimensional vector equation. Here, if you let v= r', then r''= v' so your first equation becomes, as you saw, v'+ av+ b/r^2= 0 and your second equation is r'= v. Equivalently, if we think of vector, V, as being [itex]\begin{bmatrix}r(t) \\ v(t)\end{bmatrix}[/itex] we have the vector equation
[tex]V'= \begin{bmatrix}r(t) \\ v(t) \end{bmatrix}'= \begin{bmatrix}-v- b/r^2 \\ v\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Hi !
Another manner to present it :
Let dr/dt = Y(r)
d²r/dt² = d(Y(r))/dt = (dY/dr)*(dr/dt) = (dY/dr)*Y
r''+a*r'+b/r² = (dY/dr)*Y+a*Y+b/r²
Y' Y + a Y = -b/r² is an first order ODE, where Y(r) is the unknown function.
Solving it leads to Y(r)
Then dt = dr/Y(r)
But the analytic integration of 1/Y(r) will probably be too arduous. That is the raison why numerical solving of the first order ODE is more realisic in practice.

Hi!
Thank you JJacquelin and HallsofIvy for your answers. The most useful form is the first one, in the matrix form. I will put it into a f90 program to simulate a body orbiting around a planet with air drag... now it's time to find the right units to avoid problems with my pc, let's see what will happen!

HallsofIvy said:
In general, you can't just reduce the order of a differential equation. What you can do is convert a second order equation to two first order differential equations or, equivalently to a two dimensional vector equation. Here, if you let v= r', then r''= v' so your first equation becomes, as you saw, v'+ av+ b/r^2= 0 and your second equation is r'= v. Equivalently, if we think of vector, V, as being [itex]\begin{bmatrix}r(t) \\ v(t)\end{bmatrix}[/itex] we have the vector equation
[tex]V'= \begin{bmatrix}r(t) \\ v(t) \end{bmatrix}'= \begin{bmatrix}-v- b/r^2 \\ v\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
But shouldn't it read
[tex]V'=\begin{bmatrix} r' \\ v' \end{bmatrix}
=\begin{bmatrix} v \\ r'' \end{bmatrix}
=\begin{bmatrix} v \\ -a v-b/r^2 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Related to Differential equation - Reduction of order

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function or a set of functions with their derivatives. It describes how the rate of change of a variable is related to the variable itself.

2. What is reduction of order in differential equations?

Reduction of order is a technique used to solve second-order linear differential equations by reducing them to first-order equations. This is done by substituting a new variable for one of the dependent variables in the original equation.

3. How is reduction of order used in real-life applications?

Reduction of order is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model and solve problems involving changing quantities. For example, it can be used to model the growth of a population or the decay of a radioactive substance.

4. What are the steps involved in the reduction of order method?

The steps involved in the reduction of order method are as follows: 1. Identify the dependent variable and its derivatives in the differential equation.2. Let the new variable be equal to one of the derivatives.3. Substitute the new variable and its derivatives into the original equation.4. Simplify the equation and solve for the new variable.5. Integrate the new variable to find the general solution.6. Use initial conditions to determine the particular solution.

5. Are there any limitations to the reduction of order method?

Yes, the reduction of order method can only be applied to second-order linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It is not applicable to higher-order equations or equations with variable coefficients. Additionally, it may not always be possible to find a suitable substitution for the dependent variable, making the method unusable.