Differential equation in the torus

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an example of a vector field that is invariant in the torus and has periodic orbits of the same period. The speaker mentions being able to find such a vector field in cylindrical coordinates but having difficulty in Cartesian coordinates. They also question if it is necessary to give the example in a specific coordinate system.
rmiranda
Hello all.
Consider the torus [tex]T^2[/tex] as a subset of R^3, for example the inverse image of 0 by the function [tex]f(x,y,z)=(\sqrt{x^2+y^2}-1)^2+z^2-4[/tex].
I need to obtain a example of a vector field [tex]X[/tex] defined in the whole [tex]R^3[/tex], such that:
1) [tex]X[/tex] is invariant in the torus
2) the orbits of [tex]X[/tex] in the torus are all periodic of the same period (I thought in something like the orbits being the parallels).

I can obtain such a v.f. in cylindrical coordinates, but when I put my example in cartesian coords, the equations are turning to be very complicated to my purpose, may be someone has a simpler example of such v.f.?

Physics news on Phys.org
rmiranda said:
I can obtain such a v.f. in cylindrical coordinates

So is that a problem? Do you have to give it in a specific coordinate system? If you can show that the vector field is defined on all of space and satisfies the requirements in cylindrical coordinates, the argument is just as valid as in Cartesian ones, isn't it?

Related to Differential equation in the torus

1. What is a differential equation in the torus?

A differential equation in the torus is a type of mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time in a torus-shaped space. It involves derivatives, which represent the rate of change of the quantity, and can be used to model a wide range of physical phenomena.

2. How is a differential equation in the torus different from a regular differential equation?

A differential equation in the torus is different from a regular differential equation because it is defined on a torus-shaped space, rather than a flat or curved surface. This adds an additional level of complexity to the equation, as the shape of the torus must be taken into account when solving it.

3. What are some real-world applications of differential equations in the torus?

Differential equations in the torus are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They can be used to model the behavior of fluids in a toroidal container, the electromagnetic fields in a torus-shaped device, and the behavior of particles in a torus-shaped particle accelerator, among others.

4. How are differential equations in the torus solved?

Differential equations in the torus can be solved using various methods, including numerical methods, series solutions, and special functions. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy in the solution.

5. Are there any challenges associated with solving differential equations in the torus?

Yes, there are several challenges associated with solving differential equations in the torus. One of the main challenges is the complexity of the equations, as the torus adds an additional level of difficulty compared to regular differential equations. Additionally, the solutions to these equations may not always have closed-form solutions, requiring the use of numerical methods.