Differential equation for draining a pool

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a question related to differential equations. The question involves finding equilibrium points for a pool with water flowing in and out at a given rate. The conversation covers different aspects of the question, including determining equilibrium points, stability of the points, and conditions for the pool to overflow or empty. In the end, the student gains a better understanding of the problem.
Vishak95
Hi MHB. Can someone help me with this one please? I don't understand what the question is really saying...in particular part (c).

I tried to set up dD/dt = k - D^1/2 but it doesn't seem correct. Thanks.

View attachment 1589

Attachments

• Differential equation.jpg
    Differential equation.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 65
Physics news on Phys.org
I have moved this topic to our Differential Equations sub-forum, as it is a better fit.

Your answer to part (a) is not quite correct. We know:

(1) \(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}=\text{flow in}-\text{flow out}\)

We are given:

\(\displaystyle V=100D,\,\text{flow in}=k,\,\text{flow out}=\sqrt{D}\)

So, substituting these given values into (1), what do we obtain?

Ok, now I've got this:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dD}= 100\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt} = \frac{dV}{dD}\cdot \frac{dD}{dt}\)

Leading to:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dD}{dt}= \frac{k-\sqrt{D}}{100}\)

Looks good. :D

Okay, thanks :)

So now for part (b) I've got the only equilibrium solution:

\(\displaystyle D = k^{2}\)

Which is stable.

But I'm completely lost looking at part (c) :(

Your equilibrium point is correct, and is stable since:

i) For \(\displaystyle D<k^2\) we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dD}{dt}>0\)

ii) For \(\displaystyle D>k^2\) we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dD}{dt}<0\)

which shows that for all values of $D$, we must have:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{t\to\infty}D(t)=k^2\)

So, for part (c) you want to look at what values of $k$ cause the equilibrium point to satisfy the condition that the pool overflows or empties. Where would these equilibrium points be?

Ok, thanks.

The thing that's still tripping me up is this part:

\(\displaystyle D_{0} \in (0,4)\)

And the fact that right now D0 isn't in the equation...

Vishak said:
Ok, thanks.

The thing that's still tripping me up is this part:

\(\displaystyle D_{0} \in (0,4)\)

And the fact that right now D0 isn't in the equation...

\(\displaystyle D_0=D(0)\)

and we are given that:

\(\displaystyle 0<D_0<4\)

Can you now state what values of $k$ will cause the pool to empty and overflow?

I'm guessing that for k > 2, it will overflow and for 0 <or= k < 2 it will empty?

Vishak said:
I'm guessing that for k > 2, it will overflow and for 0 <or= k < 2 it will empty?

You are correct that for $2<k$ the pool will overflow, since the equilibrium point will be greater than the depth of the pool.

In order for the pool to empty, we require the equilibrium point to be $D=0$, so we require $k=0$.

In other words, in order for the pool to completely empty, there can be no water flowing into the pool, given that the initial amount of water is greater than zero. If there is any water flowing into the pool, no matter how slowly, then the equilibrium point will be greater than zero. Because the rate at which the water leaks out varies as the square root of the depth, as the level of the water decreases, the rate at which it leaks out will decreases as well, until at some point the rate at which it leaks approaches the rate at which it is being pumped in, and we approach equilibrium.

Thank you so much for that explanation! I understand it now :)

Related to Differential equation for draining a pool

1. What is a differential equation for draining a pool?

A differential equation for draining a pool is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which the water level in a pool decreases over time. It takes into account factors such as the size of the pool, the drainage system, and the rate at which water is being pumped out.

2. How is a differential equation for draining a pool different from a regular equation?

Unlike a regular equation, a differential equation includes a variable for time and describes the change in a system over time. In the case of draining a pool, the differential equation takes into account the changing water level as water is pumped out and as the pool empties.

3. What are the variables in a differential equation for draining a pool?

The variables in a differential equation for draining a pool include the volume of the pool, the rate at which water is being pumped out, and the time it takes for the pool to drain completely. These variables can be represented by symbols such as V, r, and t, respectively.

4. How is a differential equation for draining a pool solved?

A differential equation for draining a pool can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the equation and the techniques used by the mathematician.

5. What applications does a differential equation for draining a pool have?

A differential equation for draining a pool has various applications, including predicting the time it will take for a pool to drain, determining the optimal rate at which water should be pumped out to minimize energy usage, and modeling the draining process for different pool sizes and shapes. It can also be extended to model other systems that involve draining, such as a bathtub or a sink.