Differential Eq. and power series

In summary, the given equation y'' + x2y' + xy = 0 can be solved using power series. After substituting the equation with its corresponding summation formulas, the coefficients can be related in the form of ck and ck+3. This means that the x terms will be proportional to c0, c1, and c2. The starting value for n in the summation can be determined by finding the correct first term of the series.
Gogeta007

Homework Statement

y'' + x2y' + xy = 0

Homework Equations

using power series:
y'' = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]cnn(n-1)xn-2 (n = 2 -> infinity)
y' = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]cn(n-1)xn-1 (n = 1 -> infinity)
y = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]cnxn (n = 0 -> infinty)

The Attempt at a Solution

by setting the above equation with its corresponding sumation formulas I get the following:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]cnn(n-1)xn-2 + [tex]\Sigma[/tex]cn(n-1)xn+1 + [tex]\Sigma[/tex]cnxn+1

to make all the x's start at the same power I pull out 2 terms from the first sumation and 1 term from the last eq. so all x's start at the power of 2.
this yields:

2c2 + 6c3x + [tex]\Sigma[/tex]n=4cnn(n-1)xn-2 + [tex]\Sigma[/tex]cn(n-1)xn+1 + c0x + [tex]\Sigma[/tex]n=1cnxn+1

on the first sumation k=n-2, so n= k+2, on the second sumation k=n+1 and n=k-1 and the same for the third sumation.
substituting k's in their respective sumations we get:

c0x+2c2+6c3x + [tex]\Sigma[/tex]k=2 xk { ck+2(k+2)(k+1) + ck-1(k-1) = ck-1

from the last two terms we can factor a ck-1 and cancel out the 1's left leaving us only with kck-1

===========

from the identity that the coefficients should add up to zero, we conclude that c2=0 and c3= -c0/6

for the sumation part, I solve for c_k+2 = -{ck-1(k)}/(k+2)(k+1)

and plugging in values of k (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) I can see that k=3 = 0, k=6 = 0, k=9 = 0

for the other values I get sumations with c0 and sumations with c1
Im writing them the way I saw the teacher writing them (since the book does without the multiplication symbol (big pi))

I get the following:

c0 [tex]\Sigma[/tex]n=?? { (-1)n [tex]\Pi[/tex]m=0n-1(3m+1) } / 12*11*9*8*6*5*3*2

where big pi starts at m =0 and ends at m = n-1

for c_0
and for c_1

c1 [tex]\Sigma[/tex]n=?? { (-1)n [tex]\Pi[/tex]m=0n-1(3m+2) } / 10*9*7*6*4*3

I couldn't find a pattern for the denominators. . . I am thinking its two patterns ( for even and odds). . .anyways I'll do that later, my question is the following:

How do I know where to start the sumations of sigma in the answer, you know n=something ?? (why?)

in the book it says that the c0 sumation has the x3,x6,x9. . . and that c1 sumation has the x4,x7,x10

how do I know which sumation has what powers of x?

Some of the answers (in class) start with 1 + [tex]\Sigma[/tex]. . . or with x + [tex]\Sigma[/tex]. . .
how do I know when to pull out the first term? and again, on what n to start for the sumation?

Thanks a lot for reading trough this and thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The relation for the coefficients relates ck to ck+3, so

c0 -> c3 -> c6 -> c9 -> ...
c1 -> c4 -> c7 -> c10 -> ...
c2 -> c5 -> c8 -> c11 -> ...

So the x0, x3, x6, ... terms are all proportional to c0. Likewise, the x1, x4, x7, ... terms are all proportional to c1.

Unless there's something special about the first few terms, there's no reason to pull them out of the summation.

thanks! and how do you know where to start your n for the sumation? and where did you get k+3 from?

I just substituted k+1 for k in the recurrence relation you derived to get rid of that awkward k-1, k+2 combination.

You start n at whatever value works, the one that will give you the correct first term of the series. For example, consider the harmonic series 1/1+1/2+1/3+1/4+... If I were to write the n-th term as cn=1/n, I'd start n at 1 because that's the value that would give me 1/1 as the first term. If instead I wrote cn=1/(n+1), I would start the summation at n=0.

Related to Differential Eq. and power series

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change, and is commonly used to model natural phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are three main types of differential equations: ordinary, partial, and stochastic. Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple variables. Stochastic differential equations involve randomness or uncertainty.

3. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved by using various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. Advanced techniques like Laplace transforms and power series can also be used to solve more complex equations.

4. What is a power series?

A power series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a multiple of a variable raised to a different power. It is often used to approximate functions and solve differential equations.

5. How are power series used in solving differential equations?

Power series can be used to create a general solution for a differential equation by representing the unknown function as a power series. The coefficients of the series can then be determined by using initial conditions or boundary conditions. This method is particularly useful for solving linear differential equations.