Differential Calculus Word Problem

In summary: If all of that was too hard, just take the height of the cone and multiply it by the volume of the cone that's been created so far.In summary, the pile is rising at a rate of 4.07 feet per minute.
shadow15
How do you solve this?

Sand is being poured from a dumping truck and forms a conical pile with its height equal to one third the base diameter. If the truck is emptying at the rate of 720 cubic feet a minute and the outlet is five feet above the ground, how fast is the pile rising as it reaches the outlet?

I tried many different methods and pictures, but can't seem to reach the given answer (4.07 ft./min.). What are the steps I need to take in order to get that answer?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
First, find a relationship between the height of the height and the volume. This should be fairly basic geometry.

Now differentiate both sides with respect to time, use the chain rule if necessary, plug in a few values, and solve.

shadow15 said:
How do you solve this?

Sand is being poured from a dumping truck and forms a conical pile with its height equal to one third the base diameter. If the truck is emptying at the rate of 720 cubic feet a minute and the outlet is five feet above the ground, how fast is the pile rising as it reaches the outlet?

I tried many different methods and pictures, but can't seem to reach the given answer (4.07 ft./min.). What are the steps I need to take in order to get that answer?

Thanks in advance

You *must* show your work toward a solution. It is not enough to say you have tried it and have not been able to solve it.

Please use the hints provided, and show us your work on this question.

Remember, the volume of a cone is V = (π/3)r2h. It's diameter is just 2r, where r is the radius. It's height though will be (1/3)(diameter). Using this information will allow you to construct the relationship between your info.

Then, think about dv/dt, which is really what the question is asking for (i.e how fast is the volume of the cone growing). You're given two useful pieces of info that will allow you to formulate a formula for this.

Then I mean... plug and chug right?

Related to Differential Calculus Word Problem

What is Differential Calculus?

Differential Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change of functions. It involves finding derivatives of functions to determine the instantaneous rate of change at any given point.

What are some common applications of Differential Calculus?

Differential Calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some common applications include optimization problems, motion analysis, and economic forecasting.

How do I solve a Differential Calculus word problem?

To solve a Differential Calculus word problem, you need to follow these steps:

• Read the problem carefully and identify the given information.
  • Define the variables and write down the function to be differentiated.
  • Find the derivative of the function using the appropriate rules and techniques.
  • Substitute the given values into the derivative to find the rate of change at the desired point.
  • Interpret the result in the context of the problem.

What are some common techniques used in Differential Calculus?

Some common techniques used in Differential Calculus include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and implicit differentiation. These techniques are used to find derivatives of various functions.

Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in algebra to understand Differential Calculus?

Yes, a strong foundation in algebra is essential for understanding Differential Calculus. Many concepts in Differential Calculus rely heavily on algebraic manipulations and understanding of functions and their properties. It is recommended to have a good understanding of algebra before studying Differential Calculus.