Differentiability of a multivariable function?

In summary, the question is asking to explain why each function given in Exercises 34-36 is differentiable at every point in its domain. The key condition for differentiability is that the function must exist at the given point and its partial derivatives must be continuous at that point. For exercise 34, this condition is satisfied and the function is differentiable everywhere. However, for exercises 35 and 36, the function is not defined at certain points in its domain, making it not differentiable at those points. Therefore, according to the instructions, those points should not be included in the domain when verifying differentiability.
Chris L
As a preface, this question is taken from Vector Calculus 4th Edition by Susan Jane Colley, section 2.3 exercises.

Homework Statement

"Explain why each of the functions given in Exercises 34-36 is differentiable at every point in its domain."

34. [tex]xy - 7x^8y^2 cosx[/tex]
35. [tex]\frac{x + y + z}{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]
36. [tex](\frac{xy^2}{x^2 + y^4}, \frac{x}{y} + \frac{y}{x})[/tex]

Homework Equations

Not equations, rather theorems, but basically for a function to be differentiable at a point a the function itself must exist at a and each of its partial derivatives must be continuous at a.

The Attempt at a Solution

It is immediately clear that 34 must be differentiable everywhere, no objections to this question. However, I have problems with 35 and 36:

35: First and foremost, the function isn't defined at (0,0,0) (as 0/0 isn't defined). If you compute its partial derivatives, they also are not defined at (0,0,0) (also equal to 0/0), so from the definitions in the book, the function isn't differentiable everywhere. Am I misinterpreting the question/have the wrong conditions for differentiability or is the question in the book worded poorly (perhaps the intended problem is to explain whether or not each function given is differentiable everywhere?)

36: Similar to 35, this function isn't defined when either x or y is 0, and its partial derivatives aren't either.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
0/0 is an indeterminate form. Like ∞/∞ or 0^0.

From the math courses I've taken, I've always been told that indeterminate forms mean that the function isn't defined at that point, rather than defining the value at that point to be equal to the limit. I can see the advantages of that convention, but that doesn't account for 36, where for example if you choose x = 0 and y = 2, the second component is 2/0 (which isn't indeterminate) and thus that function still isn't differentiable everywhere?

The question says to verify that the functions are differentiable in their domain. So you don't have to check points like (0,0) because they don't belong to the domain.

For example, 1/x is continuous and infinitely differentiable everywhere in its domain because 0 is not in its domain.

Ah, I just read the instructions again. It says explain why it is differentiable at every point in its "domain" If the function is not defined at that point, then that point is not in the domain.

Oh wow, I can't read it seems, that would explain it. Thanks for your help!

Related to Differentiability of a multivariable function?

What is the definition of differentiability for a multivariable function?

The differentiability of a multivariable function refers to its ability to be approximated by a linear function at a particular point. In other words, the function must have a well-defined tangent plane at that point.

How is the differentiability of a multivariable function determined?

The differentiability of a multivariable function is determined by evaluating its partial derivatives at the given point. If all the partial derivatives exist and are continuous, then the function is differentiable at that point.

What is the significance of differentiability for a multivariable function?

Differentiability is important because it allows us to use linear approximations to better understand and analyze the behavior of a multivariable function. It also helps in optimization problems by identifying critical points where the function is not differentiable.

Can a multivariable function be differentiable at some points but not others?

Yes, it is possible for a multivariable function to be differentiable at some points but not others. This occurs when the function has discontinuities or sharp bends at certain points, making it impossible to find a well-defined tangent plane.

What is the relationship between continuity and differentiability for a multivariable function?

Continuity is a necessary but not sufficient condition for differentiability. This means that a function must be continuous at a point in order to be differentiable at that point, but it is not guaranteed to be differentiable even if it is continuous.