Different results while switching the order of integration

• Thread starter Amaelle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, switching the order of integration can lead to different results in integration problems because it changes the way we are looking at the problem. However, not all integrals can be switched and it is important to check for convergence and complexity before making the switch. There is no set rule for when to switch the order of integration, but it can simplify integrals and provide insight into the behavior of the function being integrated. However, it is important to consider the impact on the value of the integral before making the switch.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
∫y dA where the region is the triangle A(0,0) B(0,1) C(1,1)
Relevant Equations
y=x
0<x<1 and 0<y<1 and y=x
my Problem is that I get a different result when I switch the order of integration (X over Y), I couldn't spot the mistake, any help would highlyu appreciated
20200824_143133.jpg
20200824_143118.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
the upper limits should be y in the first instance (for x) and x in the second (for y)

Likes Amaelle
this is what is written no? could you please explain more i still didn't get your point?

Sorry I misread your images. I will instead send you to a video as the easiest route

• Informative
Likes Amaelle
Great video, thanks a million it answered perfectly my question!

Likes hutchphd

Related to Different results while switching the order of integration

1. Why do the results change when the order of integration is switched?

When integrating a function over a specific region, the order in which the integration is performed can affect the final result. This is because the limits of integration and the direction of integration can change, leading to different regions being covered and different values being calculated.

2. Can switching the order of integration affect the accuracy of the results?

Yes, switching the order of integration can sometimes lead to more accurate results. This is because certain regions may be easier to integrate in one direction compared to the other, and switching the order may lead to a more efficient integration process.

3. How do I know which order of integration to use?

The order of integration depends on the function being integrated and the region of integration. It is important to understand the geometry of the region and the behavior of the function in order to determine the most suitable order of integration.

4. Are there any rules for switching the order of integration?

Yes, there are certain rules that can be followed to switch the order of integration. These include changing the limits of integration, changing the direction of integration, and using appropriate substitution techniques.

5. Can switching the order of integration make the integration process easier?

Yes, switching the order of integration can sometimes simplify the integration process by reducing the complexity of the integrand or by making the limits of integration more manageable. However, this is not always the case and it is important to carefully consider the function and region before switching the order of integration.