Difference equation my answer different from books

In summary: The value of K that satisfies the initial condition y(0)=0 is K=1/(1-\alpha).In summary, the conversation discusses a simple model for understanding why doctors often recommend starting with a higher dose of medication on the first day. It assumes that the human body is a tank of blood, with drugs instantly dissolving in the blood and vanishing at a proportional rate. The conversation then goes on to solve the problem by iteration and using a power series representation, ultimately determining the amount of drug in the blood after each dose is taken.
fahraynk

Homework Statement

When drugs are used to treat a medical condition, doctors often recommend starting with a higher dose on the first day than on subsequent days. In this problem, we consider a simple model to understand why. Assume that the human body is a tank of blood and that drugs instantly dissolve in the blood when ingested. Further assume that the drug vanishes from the body at a rate that is proportional to drug concentration.

Let X[n] represent the amount of drug taken on day n, and let y[n] represent the total amount of drug in the blood on day n, just after the dos x[n] has dissolved int eh blood, so that :
y[n]=x[n]+##\alpha##[n-1].

Assume that no drug is in the blood before day 0, and that one unit of drug is taken each day, starting with day 0. Determine an expression for the amount of drug in the blood immediately after the dose on day n has dissolved.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I plug ##y=P^n## into the difference equation to get ##y_h=K\alpha^n## and I plug ##y=C## into the equation for the particular solution and get for an answer :
## y = K\alpha^n - \frac{x(n)}{\alpha-1}##

The book says this:
Solve by iteration :
##n : y[n]##
##0 : 1##
##1:1+\alpha##
##2:1+\alpha+\alpha^2##
##3:1+\alpha+\alpha^2+\alpha^3##
##...## : ## ...##
##n : \frac{1-\alpha^{n+1}}{1-\alpha}##
Books answer is : ##\frac{1-\alpha^{n+1}}{1-\alpha}##

I think the book is using a power series representation or something like that. Is my answer wrong for x(n)=1 ? If so what am I doing wrong ? I rather not use a power series if I can answer the difference equation using methods I already know like undetermined coefficients.

Physics news on Phys.org
fahraynk said:
y[n]=x[n]+α[n-1].
Do you mean: ##y[n] = x[n] + \alpha y[n-1]## where ##\alpha \in (0,1)## determines the rate at which the drug disappears from the blood?

fahraynk said:
I think the book is using a power series representation or something like that.
It is calculating the first few terms of the solution, recognizing a geometric series and then using the standard formula for the partial sums of such a series.

fahraynk said:
I plug ##y=P^n## into the difference equation to get ##y_h=K\alpha^n## and I plug ##y=C## into the equation for the particular solution and get for an answer :
## y = K\alpha^n - \frac{x(n)}{\alpha-1}##
I'm not sure why you're writing the solution in terms of x(n) since you've assumed x(n) is a constant to find the particular solution. Just write the constant.

You didn't finish solving the problem. You must still determine the arbitrary constant K.

Related to Difference equation my answer different from books

What is a difference equation?

A difference equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a sequence of values. It is used to model discrete time systems, where the value of a variable at a specific time depends on its previous values and the input at that time.

How is a difference equation different from a differential equation?

A difference equation is used to model discrete time systems, while a differential equation is used to model continuous time systems. In a difference equation, the time variable is an integer, while in a differential equation, it is a continuous variable.

Why might my answer differ from what is stated in a book?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that the book is using a different initial condition or input for the equation. Another possibility is that there is an error in either the book or your calculations. Lastly, it could be due to simplifications or assumptions made in the book that do not apply to your specific problem.

Can a difference equation be solved analytically?

Yes, some difference equations can be solved analytically, but it depends on the specific equation. Some equations may require numerical methods for a solution, while others may not have a closed-form solution at all.

How can I check if my solution to a difference equation is correct?

One way to check if your solution is correct is to plug it back into the original difference equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to compare your solution to the solutions in the book or to use numerical methods to verify your solution.