Difference between a hessian and a bordered hessian

In summary, a bordered hessian is used for constrained optimizations, while a proper hessian is used for unconstrained optimizations. The main difference between the two is that a bordered hessian only considers the tangent planes of the constraints, while a proper hessian looks at the whole space. Projected hessians are a better way to handle constrained optimizations, and are commonly used in modern optimization systems.
Centurion1

Homework Statement

I was wondering what exactly the difference between a regular (proper? is that the term) hessian is and a bordered hessian. It is difficult to find material in the book or online at this point. I mean mathmatically so that were i to do a problem i would know the layout and what differs between the two. At this point I am aware that a bordered hessian is for constrained optimizations and a proper hessian for unconstrained from there i am unaware where they differ. Theoretically and forumlaically how do they differ?

At this point i think it is something like

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Proper Hessian

lZxx Zxyl
lZyx Zyyl

Then you find the determinant

A bordered hessian would be

l 0 Fx Fy l
l Fx Zxx Zxy l
l Fy Zyx Zyy l

Is that right because it seems too simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
Centurion1 said:

Homework Statement

I was wondering what exactly the difference between a regular (proper? is that the term) hessian is and a bordered hessian. It is difficult to find material in the book or online at this point. I mean mathmatically so that were i to do a problem i would know the layout and what differs between the two. At this point I am aware that a bordered hessian is for constrained optimizations and a proper hessian for unconstrained from there i am unaware where they differ. Theoretically and forumlaically how do they differ?

At this point i think it is something like

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Proper Hessian

lZxx Zxyl
lZyx Zyyl

Then you find the determinant

A bordered hessian would be

l 0 Fx Fy l
l Fx Zxx Zxy l
l Fy Zyx Zyy l

Is that right because it seems too simple.

Your are right: the above matrix is a bordered Hessian. It's what you do with it afterwards that counts!

Basically, in an equality-constrained optimization problem, the Hessian matrix of the Lagrangian (not just the Hessian of the max/min objective Z) needs to be tested for positive or negative definiteness or semi-definiteness, not in the whole space, but only in tangent planes of the constraints. Using bordered Hessians is one way of doing this, but a much better way is to use so-called "projected hessians"; these are, essentially, the Hessian projected down into the lower-dimensional space of the tangent plane. Nowadays, serious optimization systems use projected Hessians, and just about the only place you will see bordered Hessians anymore is in Economics textbooks.

Related to Difference between a hessian and a bordered hessian

What is the difference between a hessian and a bordered hessian?

A hessian is a square matrix of second-order partial derivatives of a multivariate function. It is used to determine the nature of a critical point in optimization problems. A bordered hessian is an extended version of the hessian matrix that includes the first-order partial derivatives as well. It is commonly used to test for convexity/concavity of a function.

How are the two matrices calculated?

The hessian matrix is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and then arranging them in a square matrix. The bordered hessian matrix is calculated by adding the first-order partial derivatives to the hessian matrix, resulting in a larger matrix with the same number of rows and columns as the number of variables in the function.

What is the significance of the hessian and bordered hessian matrices?

The hessian matrix is used to determine the nature of a stationary point in optimization problems. If the eigenvalues of the hessian matrix are all positive, then the point is a minimum. If they are all negative, then the point is a maximum. If there is a mix of positive and negative eigenvalues, then the point is a saddle point. The bordered hessian matrix is used to check for convexity/concavity of a function, which is important in optimization problems.

Are there any limitations to using these matrices?

Yes, the hessian matrix can only be used to determine the nature of stationary points, not the global optimum. The bordered hessian matrix can only determine convexity/concavity at a specific point and cannot be used to determine the overall convexity/concavity of a function. Additionally, both matrices require the function to have continuous second-order partial derivatives.

How are these matrices used in real-world applications?

Hessian and bordered hessian matrices are commonly used in optimization problems in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. They help to determine the best possible solution for a given problem by identifying the nature of critical points and checking for convexity/concavity. These matrices are also used in machine learning algorithms to optimize model parameters and improve performance.