DiffEq question (solving damped wave equation)

In summary: Since X(0)= 0 and X(pi)= 0, the solution must be of the form A sin(nx) where n is an integer. So the final solution will be a Fourier series: y(x,t)= Σ A_n sin(n x) e^(-2n^2 t).In summary, separation of variables can be used to solve the damped wave equation by breaking it into two separate differential equations for X(x) and T(t). The boundary conditions can then be used to determine the form of the solutions, resulting in a Fourier series for y(x,t).
jaejoon89
How do you use separation of variables to solve the damped wave equation
y_tt + 2y_t = y_xx

where y(0,t) = y(pi,t) = 0
y(x,0) = f(x)
y_t (x,0) = 0

---
These are partial derivatives where y = X(x)T(t)

So rewriting the equation I get

X(x)T''(t) + 2X(x)T'(t) = X''(x)T(t)
which results in the following differential equations (lambda a constant)

X''(x) + lambda*X(x) = 0...(1)
T''(t) + 2T'(t) + lambda*T(t) = 0...(2)

I am supposed to use the boundary conditions somehow and find y(x,t) which will be a Fourier series but I am completely stuck and would appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
jaejoon89 said:
How do you use separation of variables to solve the damped wave equation
y_tt + 2y_t = y_xx

where y(0,t) = y(pi,t) = 0
y(x,0) = f(x)
y_t (x,0) = 0

---
These are partial derivatives where y = X(x)T(t)

So rewriting the equation I get

X(x)T''(t) + 2X(x)T'(t) = X''(x)T(t)
which results in the following differential equations (lambda a constant)

X''(x) + lambda*X(x) = 0...(1)
T''(t) + 2T'(t) + lambda*T(t) = 0...(2)

I am supposed to use the boundary conditions somehow and find y(x,t) which will be a Fourier series but I am completely stuck and would appreciate some help.
You are told that y(0, t)= X(0)T(t)= 0 and that y(pi, t)= X(pi)T(t)= 0. In order that those be true for all t, you must have X(0)= 0 and X(pi)= 0.

Start by solving the equation X"+ lambda X= 0, X(0)= 0, X(pi)= 0.

The "type" of soltutions will (1) linear if lambda= 0, (2) exponential if lambda< 0, (3) sine and cosine if lambda> 0. But you know that X(0)= X(pi)= 0 so lambda must be what?

Related to DiffEq question (solving damped wave equation)

What is a damped wave equation?

A damped wave equation is a type of differential equation that describes the behavior of a damped wave in a physical system. It takes into account a damping factor, which represents the dissipation of energy in the system, in addition to the typical wave equation terms.

What are the applications of solving a damped wave equation?

Solving a damped wave equation can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of damped waves in different systems, such as mechanical vibrations, electrical circuits, and fluid dynamics.

What methods are commonly used to solve a damped wave equation?

The most commonly used methods to solve a damped wave equation are separation of variables, Fourier series, and Laplace transforms. These methods involve breaking down the equation into simpler parts and using mathematical techniques to find a solution.

What are the key parameters in a damped wave equation?

The key parameters in a damped wave equation are the damping factor, the initial conditions, and the boundary conditions. These parameters determine the behavior and characteristics of the damped wave in the system.

How do I know if my solution to a damped wave equation is correct?

To check the correctness of a solution to a damped wave equation, one can use the initial and boundary conditions to plug in the values and see if the solution satisfies the equation. Additionally, one can also compare the solution to known solutions or use computer simulations to validate the results.