Did the author make a mistake in integrating by parts?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a confusion regarding the simplification of the expression x/2 cos. The author of the video states that x/2 is equivalent to 1/4(2x*cos), which is justified by the fact that x/2 is equal to 1/4 of 2x. The person asking the question initially struggles to understand this simplification, but eventually understands with further explanation.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-02-09at41900AM.png

In this video from which there is a screen shot above the author went from x/2 to 2x and all he said was half is two quarters. right a half is two quarters it is not 2. I just want to make sure that he made a mistake because I've been seeing some real bizarre things in the solution manual re integration by parts that i do not understand. everything else in the above simplification i understand except how

x/2 cos becomes 2x cos

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice the [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] outside the bracket? [itex]\frac{x}{2} cos[/itex] becomes [itex]\frac{1}{4}(2x*cos[/itex]

I would think 1/4 * x/2 would make x/8.

bobsmith76 said:
I would think 1/4 * x/2 would make x/8.
Indeed. Look at what I wrote, again. Let me rephrase it: [itex]\frac{x}{2} cos[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{4}(2x*cos[/itex]

are you saying somehow they got (x/2)/(1/4). That would make 1/2 * 4, but I don't see how that move is justified.

Sourabh N said:
Indeed. Look at what I wrote, again. Let me rephrase it: [itex]\frac{x}{2} cos[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{4}(2x*cos[/itex]

bobsmith76 said:
are you saying somehow they got (x/2)/(1/4). That would make 1/2 * 4, but I don't see how that move is justified.

Nope! In the first step they have [itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex]. right?
In the second step, they have [itex]\frac{1}{4}2x[/itex]. right?
Now, [itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{4}2x[/itex]. right?

Ok, I got it. Thanks. Sorry for being so hard-headed

Happens :smile: You're welcome!

Related to Did the author make a mistake in integrating by parts?

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to simplify the integration of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the product into two parts and applying a specific formula to solve the integral.

2. What is a common mistake when using integration by parts?

A common mistake when using integration by parts is to incorrectly choose which function to differentiate and which function to integrate. This can lead to an incorrect solution or a more complicated integral.

3. How can I avoid making a mistake when using integration by parts?

To avoid making a mistake when using integration by parts, it is important to carefully choose which function to differentiate and which function to integrate. This can be done by using the acronym "LIATE", which stands for Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential functions. The functions higher on this list should be chosen to differentiate.

4. What should I do if I make a mistake while using integration by parts?

If you make a mistake while using integration by parts, the best thing to do is to double check your work and see where the mistake was made. It may also be helpful to try a different approach or ask for assistance from a tutor or teacher.

5. Can integration by parts be used for all types of integrals?

No, integration by parts can only be used for integrals that involve a product of two functions. It cannot be used for integrals involving sums, differences, or other types of functions. Other techniques such as substitution or partial fractions may be used for these types of integrals.