-did my professor screw up the igan vector? matrices fun weee

In summary, the conversation involved finding 3 eigenvalues for a matrix and using them to solve for an eigenvector. The professor made a mistake in writing out the eigenvector and the correct one should be [1 0 1]. The conversation also included a suggestion to check the eigenvector by multiplying it by the original matrix.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, we found 3 igan values: 1, 2, 3
for the last case: 3

we came out with
0 -1 0
0 -1 0
2 -2 -2

he wrote b = 0, a = c;
then said igan vecotr is:

but clearly shoouldn't it be:
?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to tell exactly what's going on from what you've posted. You can always check to see if the vector you have is an eigenvector by multiplying it by your matrix.

mr_coffee said:
Hello everyone, we found 3 igan values: 1, 2, 3
for the last case: 3
we came out with
0 -1 0
0 -1 0
2 -2 -2
he wrote b = 0, a = c;
then said igan vecotr is:
but clearly shoouldn't it be:
?
I hope, at least, that your professor can spell better than you can!

I have no idea why you mean by "b=0, a= c" since there were no "a", "b" or "c" in your original problem.

It would also help if you wrote out the original matrix which, I take it is:
[3 -1 0]
[0 2 0]
[2 -2 1]

because I prefer to go back to the original matrix to find the eigen value: "Ax= 3x" with that matrix gives the three equations
3x- y= 3x, 2y= 3y, and 2x- 2y+ z= 3z.
Obviously, from either the first equation or the second, y= 0. Having that, the first equation becomes 3x= 3x which is true for all x and the last equation become 2x+ z= 3z or 2x= 2z so x= z. Taking x= z= 1, gives
[1 0 1]. As much as I hate to admit it, you are right!

As much as I hate to admit it, you are right!
SCORE! haha, 4.0 here i come. Yes i do suck at spelling in a big way, its not so much spelling, its pure laziness on my part. Thanks for the help as always, :)

Related to -did my professor screw up the igan vector? matrices fun weee

1. What is the igan vector and why is it important in scientific research?

The igan vector is a mathematical concept used in linear algebra to represent a set of linear equations. It is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to model and analyze complex systems and make predictions based on mathematical relationships.

2. How can a professor accidentally mess up the igan vector in a scientific experiment?

There are many ways a professor can accidentally mess up the igan vector, such as inputting incorrect data, using the wrong mathematical formula, or making a mistake in the coding or calculations. It is important for professors to double check their work and have it reviewed by colleagues to avoid these errors.

3. What are some common mistakes that can occur when working with matrices in scientific experiments?

Some common mistakes when working with matrices include forgetting to account for the order of operations, using the wrong dimensions for matrix multiplication, or incorrectly applying the rules of matrix algebra. It is important to thoroughly understand the mathematical concepts and carefully check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.

4. Can a mistake in the igan vector or matrices affect the results of a scientific experiment?

Yes, even a small mistake in the igan vector or matrices can greatly impact the results of a scientific experiment. These mathematical concepts are used to make predictions and analyze data, so any errors in their calculations can lead to incorrect conclusions.

5. How can scientists prevent mistakes when working with the igan vector and matrices?

To prevent mistakes when working with the igan vector and matrices, scientists should have a strong understanding of the mathematical concepts involved and carefully check all calculations. It is also helpful to have colleagues review their work and use software programs to assist with the calculations.