Did Jose Raul Capablanca Beat Top Players at Just 23 Years Old?

In summary, the conversation discussed various topics related to chess. The participants shared their love for the game and their experiences playing it, as well as their interest in reading about famous chess players. One particular story was mentioned about a player winning a tournament at a young age and challenging a top player to a match. The conversation also touched on different chess strategies, team chess, and online chess platforms. Some participants expressed their desire to improve their skills, while others reminisced about their past experiences playing chess.
LennoxLewis
I'm a horrible player, but i very much like the game. I also like to read about some of the great chess players.

Recently i read on Jose Raul Capablanca (1888-1942, Cuba). Word has it, he entered a tournament with all of the world top players at the time, while he was relatively unproven himself at 23 years of age. When watching Nimzowitsch (a grandmaster and top5 player in the world) play, he made some comment to which Nimzowitsch took offense, saying that unproven players should know their place and be quiet in presence of their superiors. Jose challenged him to a series of quick-chess matches and beat Nimzowitsch with ridiculous ease. He went on to win the tournament.

Anyone else like chess?

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to play chess alot. Unfortunately I don't see my chess friends much any more.

I don't remember the specifics but there was a chess match where the two players looked at the board and realized it was over. The "losing" player disgruntledly made a move slapped the clock then got up and walked away. The "victor" then got up and went to talk with the people who wished to congratulate him. Eventually the other player came over to console him over his loss. What? "But you lost!" Then he showed him the clock and pointed out that his time had run out.

That story was described in a book called How To Cheat At Chess.

I love chess! Sometimes I play on Yahoo or Chess.com. Looking to perhaps join a club here in NYC or check out the local parks. I don't play bullet chess at all really. Maybe a 5-min blitz, but usually a standard 10-20 min game.
I must confess my endgame needs a lot of work. As for my opening, I use either the Ruy Lopez or the King's Gambit.

I like Vista chess I never get up to 10% of win in round 6

I used to play chess alot, but haven't even touched a chess board for almost 2 years.

I play chess on my Mac when I am reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally bored.
Otherwise, I don't really enjoy it much.

Team chess!

1. e4

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4733/diagramikphpa1whiterookji3.jpg

(Using online diagram editor + imageshack)

Last edited by a moderator:
Current team members:

White
  • signerror

Black

signerror said:
1. e4
Your forgot to say 'check'. I think that's a 5 yard penalty, no?

You're all making me miss my thesis days. I'd wake up, start writing at 10AM, write all day til (with food breaks of course), then run of to the brewpub around 8-9PM. To my surprise, one day early in the process, I found one of my better physics friends there... playing chess with a bunch of people that played competitively (at the state level). After a few days of this, they eventually coerced me (plying me with beers of course) to play team chess (in groups of 6/8, with 2/3 players per team, alternating turns within the team). It was fabulous. I'd never had better chess (since my best opponent when I was young was a program on the TRS "Trash" 80 that took FOREVER to compile its options... and after I started beating my siblings and parents no-one would play anymore). Dang... less than one month later, with the thesis defended, I left the town and no longer get to hang out at brewpubs, much less with smart people at brewpubs.

The two days they weren't there, I found other cool people to hang with... one group of anthropologists was pretty cool one night... even the one guy that kinda liked me who kept talking about his research with lemurs (something about their teeth wear over time compared to that of other primate teeth).

physics girl phd said:
You're all making me miss my thesis days. I'd wake up, start writing at 10AM, write all day til (with food breaks of course), then run of to the brewpub around 8-9PM. To my surprise, one day early in the process, I found one of my better physics friends there... playing chess with a bunch of people that played competitively (at the state level). After a few days of this, they eventually coerced me (plying me with beers of course) to play team chess (in groups of 6/8, with 2/3 players per team, alternating turns within the team). It was fabulous. I'd never had better chess (since my best opponent when I was young was a program on the TRS "Trash" 80 that took FOREVER to compile its options... and after I started beating my siblings and parents no-one would play anymore). Dang... less than one month later, with the thesis defended, I left the town and no longer get to hang out at brewpubs, much less with smart people at brewpubs.

The two days they weren't there, I found other cool people to hang with... one group of anthropologists was pretty cool one night... even the one guy that kinda liked me who kept talking about his research with lemurs (something about their teeth wear over time compared to that of other primate teeth).

:!)

Three summers ago I spent all my free time playing chess and reading chess books - it was pretty awesome :smile: and I got to be a decent player, but I haven't played since then. I used to play at www.redhotpawn.com

signerror said:
Team chess!

1. e4

I'm game.:smile:

1...c5

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4025/diagramikup9.th.jpg

2. Nc3

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3592/diagramikphpa1whiterooksh5.jpg

It's team chess - anyone can join a team and vote on the next move. You can discuss in this thread, using invisible text (we'll trust the other side not to peak).

White team:

I think a generic plan is g6, Bg2, d3, Be3, Nge2, 0-0, in some order. 3. g6 sound good? Or do we want an early f4?

Hmmm... who wants to be on my team?:smile:

Black Team:
I vote for an early a6 to confuzzle the snuzzle out of the white team

I'm in, but was thinking a one on one sort of scenario might be better. Would it be better to pm each other moves or start a new thread per game so others can "watch"?

I'll kibitz a bit too

A6 has generally been a sound response but white won't be in trouble if he continues normally. Most common (and sound) move here is Nc6 >75% in my database.

Chess!Too complicated.What are those horses for?Tic tac toe,now there's a real game. I'm training to be a master. :cool:

I'll join white team.

white team:
signerror
redargon

black team:
gabbagabbahey
andre

For white team:
let's see where they go from here. I'd stick to the g6 for now.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I used to play chess alot. Unfortunately I don't see my chess friends much any more.

I don't remember the specifics but there was a chess match where the two players looked at the board and realized it was over. The "losing" player disgruntledly made a move slapped the clock then got up and walked away. The "victor" then got up and went to talk with the people who wished to congratulate him. Eventually the other player came over to console him over his loss. What? "But you lost!" Then he showed him the clock and pointed out that his time had run out.

That story was described in a book called How To Cheat At Chess.

That would make a good story for a "How to Sell" book...don't leave the table until the deal is done.

Related to Did Jose Raul Capablanca Beat Top Players at Just 23 Years Old?

1. What is "The grand chess thread" about?

"The grand chess thread" is a discussion forum dedicated to the game of chess. It covers various topics related to chess, including strategy, game analysis, and news in the chess world.

2. Who can participate in "The grand chess thread"?

Anyone who is interested in chess can participate in "The grand chess thread". It is open to players of all levels, from beginners to experts.

3. How can I join "The grand chess thread"?

To join "The grand chess thread", you can visit the forum's website and create an account. Once you have an account, you can start participating in the discussions and contribute to the community.

4. What are the benefits of participating in "The grand chess thread"?

Participating in "The grand chess thread" allows you to connect with other chess enthusiasts, learn new strategies, and improve your game. It also provides a platform to share your own insights and contribute to the chess community.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in "The grand chess thread"?

Yes, "The grand chess thread" has rules and guidelines that all members must follow. These include being respectful to others, avoiding spam or self-promotion, and staying on topic. Violating these rules may result in a warning or ban from the forum.

Back