Did I set this Fourier series up correctly?

In summary: You could even define ##f## arbitrarily on ##(-2L,-L)## and extend from there. (And then you could expand it into a Fourier series on ##[-L,L]## using a mixture of sines and cosines with frequencies ##2\pi n/L## and ##\pi n/L##.)But the main point is that when expanding in a Fourier series you need to specify the domain because the frequencies are relative to the size of the domain. (And if you use a domain that's twice as big, you'll need to adjust the coefficients accordingly.)In summary, there are multiple ways to express a function as a Fourier series, depending on the chosen domain and whether the function is extended as an even or odd
snesnerd

If you take the Fourier series of a function $f(x)$ where $0 < x < \pi$, then would $a_{0}$, $a_{n}$, and $b_{n}$ be defined as,

$a_{0} = \displaystyle\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}f(x)dx$

$a_{n} = \displaystyle\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}f(x)\cos(nx)dx$

$b_{n} = \displaystyle\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}f(x)\sin(nx)dx$

assuming that I am using the definition of a Fourier series in the following way:

$f(x) = \displaystyle\frac{a_{0}}{2} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{n}\cos\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right) + b_{n}\sin\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right)$

I only ask because I found this article:

http://people.uncw.edu/hermanr/mat463/ODEBook/Book/Fourier.pdf

On page 163 he defines the Fourier series from $[0,L]$ but in his definition, he has

$\cos\left(\frac{2n\pi x}{L}\right)$ and $\sin\left(\frac{2n\pi x}{L}\right)$ in his formulation. Is the way I set it up correct or his way? I have seen it both ways. I have also seen $a_{0}$ defined with the constant $\displaystyle\frac{2}{\pi}$ in front of the integral at times too so I am unsure if mine is correct or I need to add the two.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmmm it did not translate my latex writing. I apologize for that.

snesnerd said:
Hmmmm it did not translate my latex writing. I apologize for that.

Edit your post and put double pound signs ## around inline tex and double dollar signs $$ around displayed tex. Then use the preview button before posting it.

Given [itex]f: [0,L] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] there are three ways to express it as a Fourier series.

First, you can expand it as is, and you'll have in general both sines and cosines of frequencies [itex]2\pi n/L[/itex] for each positive integer [itex]n[/itex] (because when [itex]x = L[/itex] you want [itex]2\pi n x/L = 2n\pi[/itex]).

Secondly, you can extend it to [itex][-L,L][/itex] as an even function by setting [itex]f(-x) = f(x)[/itex] for each [itex]x \in [0,L][/itex] and using the series of that. Because it's an even function the series will only have cosine terms, and the frequencies are [itex]\pi n/L[/itex] for each positive integer [itex]n[/itex] (because when [itex]x = \pm L[/itex] you want [itex]\pi nx/L = \pm n\pi[/itex]).

Thirdly, you can extend it to [itex][-L,L][/itex] as an odd function setting [itex]f(-x) = -f(x)[/itex] for each [itex]x \in [0,L][/itex] and using the series of that. Because it's an odd function the series will only have sine terms, and the frequencies are [itex]\pi n/L[/itex] for each positive integer [itex]n[/itex] (because when [itex]x = \pm L[/itex] you want [itex]\pi nx/L = \pm n\pi[/itex]).

pasmith said:
Given [itex]f: [0,L] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] there are three ways to express it as a Fourier series.

Actually, there are infinitely many ways, of which, admittedly, most are pointless. But you could define ##f(x)## pretty much any way you want on ##(-L,0)## and extend periodically from ##(-L,L)##.

Last edited:

Related to Did I set this Fourier series up correctly?

1. How do I know if I set up the Fourier series correctly?

The best way to check if you set up the Fourier series correctly is to compare it to the original function. Plotting both the original function and the Fourier series on a graph can help you visually determine if they are similar.

2. Can I use a calculator or software to set up the Fourier series?

Yes, there are many calculators and software programs available that can help you set up a Fourier series. However, it is still important to understand the mathematical concepts behind the Fourier series in order to ensure accuracy.

3. What are the common mistakes when setting up a Fourier series?

Some common mistakes when setting up a Fourier series include forgetting to include all terms in the series, using the wrong formula for the coefficients, and not accounting for the periodicity of the function.

4. How can I improve my understanding of setting up Fourier series?

The best way to improve your understanding of setting up Fourier series is to practice solving problems and working through examples. Additionally, studying the mathematical concepts behind Fourier series and seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be helpful.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Fourier series?

Yes, Fourier series have many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are used to model and analyze periodic phenomena, such as sound waves and electrical signals.