Did I Miss My Chance for an REU Offer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the likelihood of being accepted into REU programs based on the timing of application submission. It is mentioned that first offers will be made in early March and that the date of application submission may impact one's chances of acceptance. The possibility of contacting the schools for more information is also mentioned.
nsatya
I applied to a few REU programs, and a couple of them stated on the website, "first offers will be made in early March". If I have not heard from them yet, is it likely that I'm not getting accepted? My applications were all sent in just a few days before the deadlines. Does that have a significant effect on prospects of getting accepted? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
After the deadline for my university's REU program, all the applications were posted online and professors made a list of their top choices. They've been working their way down their list until someone accepted the offer. Most have been accepted, so they'll be sending out rejections within a week or two. The date you submitted everything was not included in the information. I imagine it works pretty similarly at other schools. But you can always call and ask if you still have a shot at an offer.

Related to Did I Miss My Chance for an REU Offer?

1. What are REUs?

REU stands for Research Experience for Undergraduates. These are competitive programs offered by universities and research institutions that provide undergraduate students with hands-on research experience in various fields, including physics.

2. Who is eligible to apply for physics REUs?

Most physics REUs are open to undergraduate students who are majoring in physics or a related field, such as engineering or astronomy. Some programs also accept students who have completed their freshman year, while others require students to have completed their sophomore year.

3. How can I find REU programs in physics?

The National Science Foundation (NSF) maintains a comprehensive list of REU programs on their website. You can also check with your university's physics department or search online for REU programs in your area of interest.

4. What is the application process for REUs?

Each REU program may have a slightly different application process, but in general, you will need to submit an application form, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a research proposal or a resume.

5. Are physics REUs paid?

Yes, most physics REUs provide a stipend to cover living expenses during the program. The amount of the stipend may vary depending on the program and location. Some programs may also cover travel expenses and provide housing for participants.