Did I approach this problem correctly?

• Thread starter emlekarc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
In summary, the average velocity for each case depends on the specific values chosen for distance and time. However, in both cases, the average velocity would be the same if the total distance and total time were equal.
emlekarc
If you are going on a long trip is there a difference between going half the distance at 45mi/h and the other half at 50mi/hour, compared to going half the time at 45mi/h and the other half at 50mi/h?So wouldn't the first part be:
(95)/60?
The second part would be:
(95)/30

Or would it be:
(45/60)+(50/60) for the first part and (95)/60 fht the second?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
emlekarc said:
If you are going on a long trip is there a difference between going half the distance at 45mi/h and the other half at 50mi/hour, compared to going half the time at 45mi/h and the other half at 50mi/h?

So wouldn't the first part be:
(95)/60?
The second part would be:
(95)/30

Or would it be:
(45/60)+(50/60) for the first part and (95)/60 fht the second?

Without units there's no way to tell what your calculations mean. Can you explain your reasoning and show more detail for your calculations?

There are the same.

The first part, I added up the distances (45+50) and divided it by the time (60 minutes).
The second part, I added up the distance again, but took it out of 30 since it says you are spending half the time (30 minutes) at each speed?

emlekarc said:
The first part, I added up the distances (45+50) and divided it by the time (60 minutes).
The second part, I added up the distance again, but took it out of 30 since it says you are spending half the time (30 minutes) at each speed?

The problem statement doesn't mention any particular time or distance for the entire trip. It only gives you the speeds. You'll have to represent the total distance as some unknown, say "D", and assume that this total distance is the same for both cases.

In one case the total distance is divided in two and you travel the first half of the total distance at one speed and the second half at the other speed. In the second case it's the time that divided in half so you travel at one speed for half the time, the other speed for the other half of the time. The total time to complete the trip in each case is not necessarily the same...

I suggest that you try to determine the average velocity for each case.

this is a conceptual question, so it would be better to use more extreme values; say 20 mph and 60 mph.
If you go 20 mph for an hour and then 60 mph for an hour, how far do you get?
If someone else goes 20 mph for 40 miles, how long would that take? How long to go the other 40 miles at 60 mph?

As follow up to Gneill's response in #5, split this up into two separate problems to find the average velocity in each case.

Problem 1: Let 2D be the total distance covered, and let D be the distance covered at 45 mph and let D be the distance covered at 50 mph. In terms of D, how much time does it take to cover D at 45 mph? In terms of D, how much time does it take to cover D at 50 mph? In terms of D, what is the total amount of time to cover the distance 2D? What is the average velocity?

Problem 2: Let T be the amount of time traveled at 45 mph, and let T be the amount of time traveled at 50 mph. In terms of T, how much distance is covered at 45 mph? In terms of T, how much distance is covered at 50 mph? What is the total distance covered over the total time interval 2T? what is the average velocity?

Related to Did I approach this problem correctly?

1. Did I use the correct methodology for approaching this problem?

The answer to this question depends on the specific problem at hand. It is important to carefully consider the problem and choose a methodology that is appropriate and will yield accurate results. If you are unsure, it is always a good idea to consult with other scientists or experts in the field for their input and advice.

2. Did I consider all relevant variables and factors in my approach?

It is crucial to thoroughly analyze and understand the problem before beginning your approach. This includes identifying and considering all relevant variables and factors that may impact the outcome. It is also important to continuously review and assess your approach to ensure that all relevant factors are being taken into account.

3. Did I properly document my approach and results?

Documenting your approach and results is an essential part of the scientific process. This allows for transparency and reproducibility, which are important for validating your findings. Be sure to clearly outline your methods, data, and results in a detailed and organized manner.

4. Did I use appropriate controls in my experiment or study?

Using appropriate controls is essential for ensuring the validity and reliability of your results. Controls are used to eliminate or account for any potential confounding variables that could impact the outcome of your experiment. It is important to carefully design and implement controls to accurately evaluate the effects of your independent variables.

5. Did I consider any potential biases in my approach?

It is important to be aware of and account for any potential biases in your approach. This could include personal biases, biases in data collection or analysis, or biases in the scientific community. It is important to critically evaluate your approach and results to ensure that they are not influenced by any biases.