Did Fleetwood Mac Rock the Stage at Their Concert Last Night?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mac
In summary: So I must be ancient!In summary, Fleetwood Mac put on a great show at the Allphones arena last night. They played a mix of old and new tunes, and Christine McVie returned to the stage for the finale. Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham are still amazing guitarists, and I'm glad they're still playing together.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hey gang

for all my fellow oldies out there and some of those younger upstarts that recognise quality music :wink:

It was at the Fleetwood Mac concert last nite at the Allphones arena Sydney, Oz. These guys have been in the top 5 of my fav musicians since the mid '70's
Their quality has not diminished with the passing of the years and Lindsey Buckingham's fingers still work wonders on those guitar strings :smile:

cheers
Dave
DSCF4042sm.jpg

DSCF4044sm.jpg

DSCF4046sm.jpg

DSCF4051sm.jpg

DSCF4084sm.jpg

DSCF4090sm.jpg

Likes Borek and OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
I saw a documentary about Fleetwood Mac a few weeks ago. Toward the end of it, Christine McVie decided to hang it up, so I'm glad she returned to the band in the concert you attended. They certainly put out some great tunes in the mid-70s, on the Fleetwood Mac and Rumours albums.

BTW, the first time I heard "Station Man" on the Kiln House album, it really grabbed me. I wasn't a big fan in the era that Bob Welch was part of the band, but when Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined it, I really liked their stuff.

Likes davenn
"Oldies", huh? Pshaw ! I"m a 50's guy and these are newcomers to the scene :smile: They ARE very good, though.

Likes davenn
I hope they played Gold Dust Woman!
I went to Mick Fleetwood's restaurant in Maui recently. Apparently he drops in randomly, sometimes with Steven Tyler, and mingles with everyone and jams.

Likes davenn
Mark44 said:
BTW, the first time I heard "Station Man" on the Kiln House album, it really grabbed me. I wasn't a big fan in the era that Bob Welch was part of the band, but when Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined it, I really liked their stuff.

Yup, agree
I hadn't even heard of Fleetwood Mac prior to the 1974 joining of Lindsey and Stevie and the Rumours album that followed. There was something about the style of the music on that album that just grabbed me and never let go ...

My wife and I saw them last in concert in Sydney in 2004 from memory, with no Christine. It just wasn't the same
hearing her do Songbird again was almost the hilite and the treat many in the audience would have been waiting for.

Lindsey's Big Love guitar solo is amazing and always bring up a lot of emotion. That piece alone is why I class him as
one of the top 3 guitarists in the music world.Dave

Last edited:
phinds said:
"Oldies", huh? Pshaw ! I"m a 50's guy and these are newcomers to the scene :smile: They ARE very good, though.
Somewhat more 'gothic' looking than they used to be though, but so is everyone over 50. :wink:

Likes davenn
I little-known Mac tune from 2003. Isn't that nice?

Likes davenn
davenn said:
These guys have been in the top 5 of my fav musicians since the mid '70's

And now they are practically in their mid-70's. :wink:

Likes davenn
Vanadium 50 said:
And now they are practically in their mid-70's. :wink:

I had to do a little googling

Stevie = 67
Lindsey = 66
Christine = 72
John = 69
Mick = 68

davenn said:

Stevie = 67
Lindsey = 66
Christine = 72
John = 69
Mick = 68

70's lifestyle adds a few years.

Likes Pythagorean and davenn
KiggenPig said:
70's lifestyle adds a few years.

indeed it does !

davenn said:

Stevie = 67
Lindsey = 66
Christine = 72
John = 69
Mick = 68
Youngsters.

Likes davenn
Hornbein said:
I little-known Mac tune from 2003. Isn't that nice?

Or a well-known Dylan tune from 1965!

Id have considered seeing them in LA if the tickets weren't like $200...

Theres been too much great music made since the 70's to pay that much to see anyone. In fact, the 70's was probably one of the worst periods in American history for music.

dipole said:
In fact, the 70's was probably one of the worst periods in American history for music.
:oldgrumpy: You do know what music is; right?

IMO one should learn to appreciate music from all generations and cultures.

Likes davenn
Well that includes people who grew up in the 70's. What bands/songwriters do you listen to who've only come out in the last 20 years? The 70's was the decade that produced bands like Journey, Kiss, Rush, and spawns terrible terrible genres like disco and hair metal. So much garbage came out of the period between the mid 70's and mid 80's. Were there great bands during that time too? Yes, absolutely, but the faster, more aggressive styles of music that flourished throughout the mid 80's and into the 90's like punk rock and the dozens of genres of metal were a direct response to how lame the music industry had become.

Fleetwood Mac is a good band. But the 70's (after all the steam from the 60's had run out) sucked.

phinds said:
Youngsters.

to you ? seriously ?
I'm am ol fart, that must make you an ancient ol fart hahaha :wink::wink::-p

davenn said:
to you ? seriously ?
I'm am ol fart, that must make you an ancient ol fart hahaha :wink::wink::-p
I am an indeterminate seventy-eleven years old, have been for several years and, like Jack Benny at 39, plan to stay that age.

Likes davenn
dlgoff said:
:oldgrumpy: You do know what music is; right?

IMO one should learn to appreciate music from all generations and cultures.
uh huh
for me personally, the 50's 60's and 70's were the best 3 decades for music
( note tho, I do enjoy a bit of classical)

D

phinds said:
I am an indeterminate seventy-eleven years old, have been for several years and, like Jack Benny at 39, plan to stay that age.

wow ... my mom and dad are 85 and 86 respectively and if I read you right you are up in that general region
gives me a whole new respect for you :smile:D

davenn said:
uh huh
for me personally, the 50's 60's and 70's were the best 3 decades for music
I started listening to music in the early 50s, before Elvis got so popular. One of my earliest musical memories of music I really liked was Ivory Joe Hunter. He made quite a few records, but seems to have vanished into oblivion.

A lot of the music from that time was pretty sappy (e.g., "Put Your Head on My Shoulder" - Paul Anka, "Rockin' Robin" - Bobby Day, "Hot Diggity" - Perry Como), and a lot of the music that was to become "rock 'n' roll" was played only on stations that played "race music." Some white singers covered tunes originally done by black singers, but there started to be quite a few black performers whose records got wider play - Chuck Berry, Little Richard, as well as groups such as the Platters, the Coasters, and quite a few others.

The early 60s had a lot more really sappy music, with way too many songs about lost love in a tragic car wreck. There were also a lot of eminently forgettable groups such as Tommy James and the Shondells, Ohio Express, the Lemon Pipers, Herman's Hermits, and a lot of others. Of course, the 60s also had surf music, with the Beach Boys, the Ventures, and in my neck of the woods, Dick Dale and the DelTones, who played every weekend in a couple of places in Southern California. (BTW, Dick Dale made something of a comeback in the soundtrack of "Pulp Fiction.") The surf music genre was pretty much eclipsed by the "British Invasion", starting with the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Dave Clark Five, and others. A few years later, things got very interesting, with FM radio stations playing much longer cuts, such as The Doors' long version of "Light My Fire." A lot of stations abandoned their old formats of one 3-minute song after another, and would play whole sides of albums uninterrupted.

The late 60s are what a lot of people refer to as "The 60s", with a mix of psychedelia (Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother and the Holding Co - Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix - whose first big song was "Purple Haze", a reference to LSD if there ever was one, the Grateful Dead, the Doors, together with English groups like Cream, Blind Faith, and others. I'd have to say that all the excitement of the 60s and early 70s fizzled out (IMO), leaving us with disco and a lot of other stuff that just doesn't do it for me (punk, for example, starting with Marc Bolin of T Rex).

A lot of music in the 50s and 60s I didn't especially care for at the time, but came to appreciate a lot later. One in particular was the Ben E. King classic "Stand By Me," featured in the movie of the same name. A lot of that R & B music has stood the test of time, at least for me.

Likes davenn
dipole said:
What bands/songwriters do you listen to who've only come out in the last 20 years?
Gotye for one. Music?
So much garbage came out of the period between the mid 70's and mid 80's.
Pink Floyd was actually founded in '65 but their best stuff was created in the '70s. Music?
... more aggressive styles of music that flourished throughout the mid 80's and into the 90's like punk rock ...
Any good punk rockers still producing tunes? That style didn't last long enough for me to learn to appreciate.
But the 70's (after all the steam from the 60's had run out) sucked.
So you think http://www.thetoptens.com/greatest-rock-bands-70s/ of the '70s sucked?
........:olduhh:.......:oldsurprised:

davenn said:
I grew up with Benny Goodman, Harry James, Gene Krupa, Glenn Miller, ...

I've played music of all kinds beginning at age 9. The last band I played with, I was in my 40s.

btw I enjoy classical as well.

Likes davenn
dipole said:
What bands/songwriters do you listen to who've only come out in the last 20 years?

none
its all synthesised junk LOL

Nice HQ photos davenn. Did you take those? Looks like they finally got back the entire original crew. How long ago did that happen? I haven't been keeping up with them since their MTV behind the music episode.

Btw, Mick Fleetwood really isn't this tall, is he?

dscf4090sm-jpg.90600.jpg

The lesson I've learned recently is that most successful music acts actually end up have two careers when all is said and done--One is their initial rise to fame epoch and the other is them becoming their own tribute band 20 years down the road after failed solo attempts or attempts at other employment :confused:

So there you have it kids, just another reason why practicing your piano or guitar could pay off big!

Mick Fleetwood is about 6'5, I'm fairly certain. That's what the worker at his restaurant told me.

KiggenPig said:
Mick Fleetwood is about 6'5, I'm fairly certain. That's what the worker at his restaurant told me.

He looks about 7'5 there unless he's standing on the edge of the drum stage.

DiracPool said:
Nice HQ photos davenn. Did you take those? Looks like they finally got back the entire original crew. How long ago did that happen? I haven't been keeping up with them since their MTV behind the music episode.

Hi DiracPool, yes I took those pics, their concert in Sydney, Australia, last Thursday nite ( 22nd Oct)
My wife and I were about 20m back from the stage. I knew I couldn't take my pro camera in with the good telephoto-zoom
So settled for one of my smaller basic ones, the Fuji S8600.
It performed much better than expected. Lost 5 or 6 images that were totally blurred out when the auto focus failed to lock on
I videoed his "Big Love" guitar solo ... amazing piece of guitar playing, unfortunately the audio Q on my recording was a bit shabby

here is a good youtube version ...
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=046A034DD8A7A46DB202046A034DD8A7A46DB202

ummm good Q, I think he was standing on the same level ... will check other photos to see if I can tell

and yes it was great to see the whole team back together again ! :smile:Dave

Likes DiracPool
Mark44 said:
I'd have to say that all the excitement of the 60s and early 70s fizzled out (IMO), leaving us with disco and a lot of other stuff that just doesn't do it for me (punk, for example, starting with Marc Bolin of T Rex).
We certainly saw Disco and C&W develop in the 1970s, and somewhat overwhelm the pop music scene. Pop music did seem to get lame in the early 1970s - if it wasn't disco or C&W, it was soft rock - Billy Joel, Elton John, Chicago, Toto, Christopher Cross, Michael McDonald, England Dan & John Ford Coley, Air Supply, Seals and Crofts, America and the reformed Fleetwood Mac, and groups like Firefall.

However in the 70s, we had some great bands: The Who, Led Zeppelin, Santana, Journey (before they went pop rock), Moody Blues, Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Pink Floyd (Pink Floyd recorded The Dark Side of the Moon between May 1972 and January 1973, and released in March 1973), Aerosmith, Wishbone Ash, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull, Supertramp, Humble Pie, Robin Trower, . . . . Even Deep Purple and Black Sabbath were going strong in the 1970s. And we saw new bands like Kansas, Rush, Triumph, Blue Oyster Cult (before they went pop rock), . . .

Unfortunately, we lost some great bands like The Doors, Quicksilver Messenger Service, and Iron Butterfly.

I saw several of the groups in concert during the mid-70s. I saw what was left of Spirit with Randy California before he died. Unfortunately, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin died in 1970.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
However in the 70s, we had some great bands:

Don't forget three dog night...

51T9FTZYFHL.jpg

DiracPool said:
Don't forget three dog night...
Yeah - the list gets long.

Incidently, Cory Wells, best known as one of the three lead vocalists in the band Three Dog Night, died October 20, 2015.

Astronuc said:
Unfortunately, we lost some great bands like The Doors, Quicksilver Messenger Service, and Iron Butterfly.
Indeed :oldcry:

And I know you know good music. :bow:

Astronuc said:
Incidently, Cory Wells, best known as one of the three lead vocalists in the band Three Dog Night, died October 20, 2015.

Wow, we lost Cory. RIP. Timely post.

DiracPool said:

yes he is ! ... he towers over all the other members of the band
in this pic, even with the girls on that step, he's still taller and he isn't even standing up straight LOL

the mac.jpg

Dave

Related to Did Fleetwood Mac Rock the Stage at Their Concert Last Night?

1. Did Fleetwood Mac perform any new songs at their concert last night?

Yes, Fleetwood Mac performed a few new songs from their latest album, "Fleetwood Mac Live," including "The Chain" and "Dreams."

2. How was the sound quality at the Fleetwood Mac concert last night?

The sound quality at the Fleetwood Mac concert was excellent. The band is known for their high-quality live performances and they did not disappoint.

3. Did all of the original members of Fleetwood Mac perform at the concert last night?

Yes, all of the original members of Fleetwood Mac, including Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie, John McVie, and Mick Fleetwood, performed at the concert last night.

4. Were there any special guests or surprise performances at the Fleetwood Mac concert last night?

No, there were no special guests or surprise performances at the Fleetwood Mac concert last night. The band focused on their own music and did not bring on any additional performers.

5. How was the overall atmosphere and energy at the Fleetwood Mac concert last night?

The atmosphere and energy at the Fleetwood Mac concert were electric. The band and the audience were both fully engaged, creating an unforgettable experience.

Back