Did any of my classmates cheat on their homework?

In summary, William, Xavier, Youssef and Zachary all said different things at the meeting. If each statement is true, then which student cheated?
shinghan
I'm having some troubles about some exercises regarding my first year logic course.

1) Deriving (P -> Q) \/ (Q -> R) and showing that this statement is a tautology without using truth tables or venn diagrams.

So far I have no clue on how to start this question. From what I remember in class, a tautology is a statement that is true for all domains and predicates.

2) Deriving P <-> P /\ (P \/ R) without using truth tables or venn diagrams and without using the absorption method.

P <-> P /\ (P \/ R)
P /\ (Q \/ ~Q) <-> (P /\ P) \/ (P /\ Q) identity (left) distributive (right)
<-> P \/ (P /\ Q) idempotency (right)

Thats as close as I can get, but I'm still stuck. I was trying to get both sides similar.

3) Four classmates (William, Xavier, Youssef and Zachary) were suspected of cheating on their homework. At separate meetings with their instructor, they said the following:

William: If Xavier cheated, so did Zachary.
Xavier: William cheated, but Zachary did not.
Youssef: I did not cheat, but at least one of William or Zachary did.
Zachary: If William did not cheat, then Youssef did.

Let W represent the statement: William cheated"
X represent the statement: Xavier cheated"
Y represent the statement:Youssef cheated",
Z represent the statement: Zachary cheated"

and note that each student either cheated or they did not cheat.

(a) If each student is telling the truth, which student(s) cheated?
(b) If the students who cheated did not tell the truth at the meeting, and the students who did not cheat
did tell the truth, which student(s) cheated?
To answer the questions, you may nd it helpful to express each students' statement using a logical expression.
Do not use truth tables

Physics news on Phys.org
So, if you're not allowed to use truth tables explicitly, what tools can you use? Did your course define any axiom system for propositional calculus?

Can you use the equivalence P-->Q == ~P \/Q ?

Related to Did any of my classmates cheat on their homework?

1. What are logic exercises?

Logic exercises are challenges or puzzles that require critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They typically involve a set of rules or clues and a goal to reach a specific conclusion.

2. Why are logic exercises important?

Logic exercises help improve cognitive abilities, such as analytical thinking, deductive reasoning, and decision-making skills. They also help develop problem-solving strategies and enhance logical reasoning skills.

3. How can I improve my performance in logic exercises?

To improve your performance in logic exercises, you can practice regularly, familiarize yourself with different types of puzzles, and approach each problem systematically by breaking it down into smaller parts.

4. Are there any benefits to solving logic exercises?

Yes, solving logic exercises can have many benefits, including improving memory, enhancing concentration and focus, boosting creativity, and reducing stress and anxiety.

5. Can logic exercises be helpful in real-life situations?

Yes, the skills gained from solving logic exercises can be applied to real-life situations, such as decision-making, problem-solving, and critical thinking in various scenarios, including work, relationships, and daily tasks.