Did a Big Wind Storm Destroy a Family's Home Last Night in the NW?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Storm Wind
In summary, a storm destroyed the home of an invalid father and sister-in-law, who were spending the night there, and the fire department refused to attempt the rescue.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We got hammered by a storm last night. Given the number of very large trees on the property, we always worry when we start getting gusts of 50mph and greater.

My brother just called to say that his mother-in-law lost her home in the storm. His sister-in-law happened to be spending the night to help with her dad [dad is an invalid]. About 2 AM the wind started howling so badly that it woke everyone up. As they were all standing at the window looking at the trees, a huge fir tree came down right along the middle of the house, lengthwise. If the sister had still been in bed she would have been killed. Luckily, no one was hurt, but the house was completely destroyed.

The dad was still trapped in the house when the fire department arrived. And get this: The fire department refused to get him out! They said it was too dangerous! So a couple of the neighbors had to do it.

They are insured and will be okay, but many irreplaceable items were lost; the roof is gone, and it's raining. The dad has a special bed that they can't even get out yet. What a nightmare.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to hear that Ivan. Though I am a little perplexed at what the rescue workers get paid to do in those circumstances.

I hope it all turns out well.

News of the bad weather has reached the Midwest. The wind, rain and now flooding. Sorry to hear your brothers family had such a ruff go of things.

Ivan that's terrible! But glad to hear no one was injured. Did you have trees come down, or do you know yet?

I'm so sorry, Ivan. This is the first I have even heard about the storm.

Evo said:
Ivan that's terrible! But glad to hear no one was injured. Did you have trees come down, or do you know yet?

The place looks like a war zone but no major damage for us that I know about yet.

I'm not close to that end of the family, but, yes, it is quite a bad day for all involved. The sister only avoided certain death by a couple of minutes.

Wow Ivan. I'm so sorry. Sounds like you have a big clean-up ahead.

I can't believe that the fire department would refuse to attempt the rescue. I wonder if they were there when the neighbors went in and done the FD's job.

That's very sad news, Ivan, though the loss of possessions is minor compared to the loss of life. So happy to hear that your family members are OK. I really should get valued original photographs, negatives, etc in my fire-rated Mosler safe. I'm lazy about that, and it may come back to bite me someday. I have tens of thousands of negatives. I also need to protect a box that my wife has populated with stuff that is precious to her, including a hand-made Valentine's day card that I used to propose to her.

edward said:
I can't believe that the fire department would refuse to attempt the rescue. I wonder if they were there when the neighbors went in and done the FD's job.
One of my closest neighbors is the chief of the volunteer fire department. He would have been in there in a flash. Ronnie is the real deal.

edward said:

According to what I was told, they were, but perhaps with time and more details the story will make sense. Right now everyone is exhausted and frustrated.

Related to Did a Big Wind Storm Destroy a Family's Home Last Night in the NW?

What caused the big wind storm in the NW?

The big wind storm in the NW was caused by a strong low pressure system that moved into the region, creating strong winds.

How fast were the winds during the storm?

The winds during the storm reached speeds of up to 60 miles per hour in some areas.

Were there any other factors that contributed to the severity of the storm?

Yes, the wind storm was also fueled by a strong temperature gradient between the Pacific Ocean and the inland areas of the NW, creating an ideal environment for strong winds.

Did the big wind storm cause any damage?

Yes, the storm caused significant damage to trees, power lines, and buildings in the NW region.

Is this type of wind storm typical for the NW?

While wind storms do occur in the NW, the severity of this particular storm was unusual and not a common occurrence in the region.