Diagonalizing by Unitary Similarity Transformation

In summary: It is suppose to be a Hermitian matrix. They both should be -1, sorry about that. And I believe I have an approximate answer. I believed I just changed the way I did it and use the face that for a unility matrix that U-dagger =U-1 and it was much cleaner output. Thanks for your help!
Thadis

Homework Statement

Compute the inverse, eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the following matrix, M.
Are the eigenvectors orthogonal? Determine a unitary similarity transformation
matrix U such that U-1MU is diagonal.With M being

{2, 0, 2i, 0, 1}
{0, -1, 0,-2i,0}
{-2i, 0, 1, 1, 1}
{ 0, 2i, 1, 0,1}
{1, 0, 1, -1,-1}

Homework Equations

I know for that you are able to diagonalize real matrices by creating a matrix of the eigenvectors.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried solving this problem using Mathmatica by creating a matrix from the eigenvectors then inversing that matrix and using the U-1MU identity to see if I get a diagonal matrix but I end up not getting a diagonal matrix. I also have tried orthogonalizing the eigenvector matrix to see if that was a problem but it did not seem to work. Does anyone have anything that might help me understand how to do this problem and also the logic behide the steps? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thadis said:

Homework Statement

Compute the inverse, eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the following matrix, M.
Are the eigenvectors orthogonal? Determine a unitary similarity transformation
matrix U such that U-1MU is diagonal.With M being

{2, 0, 2i, 0, 1}
{0, -1, 0,-2i,0}
{-2i, 0, 1, 1, 1}
{ 0, 2i, 1, 0,1}
{1, 0, 1, -1,-1}

Homework Equations

I know for that you are able to diagonalize real matrices by creating a matrix of the eigenvectors.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried solving this problem using Mathmatica by creating a matrix from the eigenvectors then inversing that matrix and using the U-1MU identity to see if I get a diagonal matrix but I end up not getting a diagonal matrix. I also have tried orthogonalizing the eigenvector matrix to see if that was a problem but it did not seem to work. Does anyone have anything that might help me understand how to do this problem and also the logic behide the steps? Thank you!
I notice that the matrix is nearly Hermitian. Do ##m_{45}## and ##m_{54}## have the right signs? In either case, it doesn't look like you get very nice answers for the eigenvalues from what I see from Mathematica.

vela said:
I notice that the matrix is nearly Hermitian. Do ##m_{45}## and ##m_{54}## have the right signs? In either case, it doesn't look like you get very nice answers for the eigenvalues from what I see from Mathematica.

Yeah, I agree. I tried changing it both ways and I still don't get a characteristic polynomial I can factor or anything. But either way including the nonhermitian initial form, I still get 5 distinct eigenvalues. So with the right computer tools you should be able to get an approximate diagonalization. I know I don't have the right tools.

vela said:

It is suppose to be a Hermitian matrix. They both should be -1, sorry about that. And I believe I have an approximate answer. I believed I just changed the way I did it and use the face that for a unility matrix that U-dagger =U-1 and it was much cleaner output. Thanks for your help!

Related to Diagonalizing by Unitary Similarity Transformation

1. What is a unitary similarity transformation?

A unitary similarity transformation is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a matrix by a unitary matrix on both sides. This transformation is used to diagonalize a matrix, which means to transform it into a diagonal matrix with all the non-zero elements on the main diagonal.

2. Why is diagonalization by unitary similarity transformation important?

Diagonalization by unitary similarity transformation is important because it simplifies the representation of a matrix and makes it easier to perform calculations. It also reveals important properties of the matrix, such as its eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

3. How do you perform diagonalization by unitary similarity transformation?

To diagonalize a matrix by unitary similarity transformation, you first need to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix. Then, you use the eigenvectors to construct a unitary matrix, which is used to transform the original matrix into a diagonal matrix.

4. What is the relationship between unitary similarity transformation and Hermitian matrices?

A unitary similarity transformation can only be performed on a Hermitian matrix, which is a square matrix that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This relationship is important because it guarantees that the resulting diagonal matrix will also be Hermitian.

5. How is diagonalization by unitary similarity transformation used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the diagonalization of a Hermitian matrix by unitary similarity transformation is used to find the energy levels and states of a quantum system. This technique is also used to simplify the calculations involved in solving quantum mechanical equations.