Developing impact protection, kinetic energy diffusion

In summary: What is it? In summary, your design is novel and has the potential to improve upon traditional helmet technology. However, it is still in the early stages of development and you should take care to protect your intellectual property rights before revealing too much information about your design.
Helmet
Hi, I'm just an average guy here, mostly self educated, and am looking for experts to verify my theories on developing revolutionary impact protection. If I disrupt direct impact to the head using a highly elastic layer of material, does that create an inelastic impact interruption? A helmet consisting of a fluid filled liner, encased in Liquid Silicone Rubber, with highly elastic characteristics, more than 1000% elasticity, with compression zones staggered throughout, because liquid doesn't compress , shaping the fluid chambers using relativity equations, maximizing fluid action during impact event, diffusing as much kinetic energy as possible. anyone?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Helmet said:
Hi, I'm just an average guy here, mostly self educated, and am looking for experts to verify my theories on developing revolutionary impact protection. If I disrupt direct impact to the head using a highly elastic layer of material, does that create an inelastic impact interruption? A helmet consisting of a fluid filled liner, encased in Liquid Silicone Rubber, with highly elastic characteristics, more than 1000% elasticity, with compression zones staggered throughout, because liquid doesn't compress , shaping the fluid chambers using relativity equations, maximizing fluid action during impact event, diffusing as much kinetic energy as possible. anyone?

Welcome to the PF.

Your post is not real clear. You are trying to improve on helmet design, which is fine. Are you familiar with traditional helmet design (which type of helmet, BTW?)? What characteristics are you wanting to improve on?

Yes I am familiar with all current helmet technology. Looks like from your avatar pic you might be familiar with motocross helmets. If so, are you familiar with the mips system used in the 6d helmets. its basically a bunch off multi directional slip discs sandwiched inside two layers of EPS. It protects better against rotational acceleration by interrupting the energy at the midway point, taking out some of the mechanical advantage of the leverage arm of said acceleration. What I'm getting at with the liquid gel impact reaction liner that I have created a system that is less than one third the thickness of comparable eps motorcycle helmets. This also alleviates the rotational mechanical advantage when compared to existing technology. Also, my helmet technology boasts a low center of mass, and when compared to any other helmet technology, its the only one with displacement on the forefront, instead of everything else that is compression based technology, with the attempt to add displacement through varying density arrangements. My goal is to create a universal helmet technology, that could be used in all types of applications. All things and variables must be considered, Fluid dynamics will bring much needed protection against brain injury, at least that's how I see it, any opinions, or arguments against?

the liner itself is my pic, that is showing without the rigid shell, so you can see what's inside.

Helmet said:
Yes I am familiar with all current helmet technology. Looks like from your avatar pic you might be familiar with motocross helmets. If so, are you familiar with the mips system used in the 6d helmets. its basically a bunch off multi directional slip discs sandwiched inside two layers of EPS. It protects better against rotational acceleration by interrupting the energy at the midway point, taking out some of the mechanical advantage of the leverage arm of said acceleration. What I'm getting at with the liquid gel impact reaction liner that I have created a system that is less than one third the thickness of comparable eps motorcycle helmets. This also alleviates the rotational mechanical advantage when compared to existing technology. Also, my helmet technology boasts a low center of mass, and when compared to any other helmet technology, its the only one with displacement on the forefront, instead of everything else that is compression based technology, with the attempt to add displacement through varying density arrangements. My goal is to create a universal helmet technology, that could be used in all types of applications. All things and variables must be considered, Fluid dynamics will bring much needed protection against brain injury, at least that's how I see it, any opinions, or arguments against?

Sounds like a valuable pursuit! Have you run a prototype through the Snell and DOT standard test suites? Have you spoken with a patent attorney about filing a patent? You should probably be careful how much info you disclose here in the public forums about your design until you file your patent application... :smile:

I believe the design constraint for crash protection is to maximize the deceleration distance of the head subject to some maximal distance. It sounds like you are using some other constraint.

Related to Developing impact protection, kinetic energy diffusion

1. What is impact protection and why is it important?

Impact protection refers to the ability of a material or device to absorb and dissipate kinetic energy in order to reduce the force of impact. This is important in order to prevent injury to humans or damage to objects.

2. How does impact protection work?

Impact protection works by using materials or designs that are able to deform or break in a controlled manner when subjected to impact. This absorbs the kinetic energy and spreads it out over a larger area, reducing the force applied to the target.

3. What are some examples of impact protection technologies?

Some examples of impact protection technologies include airbags, shock-absorbing materials, and helmets with foam padding. There are also specialized devices and materials used in sports such as padding for football players or foam mats for gymnasts.

4. How do scientists develop new impact protection technologies?

Scientists use various methods such as computer simulations, experimental testing, and biomimicry to develop new impact protection technologies. They also draw on knowledge from materials science, engineering, and biomechanics to create effective solutions.

5. Can impact protection be used in other applications besides protecting humans?

Yes, impact protection can be used in various other applications such as protecting fragile objects during transportation, preventing damage to buildings during earthquakes, and improving the durability of electronic devices. It can also be used in industrial settings to protect workers from hazardous impacts.