Determining the number of degrees of freedom

In summary, the first figure states that there are no rigid body motions, while the second figure states that vertical displacement of point B is allowed. There is a discontinuity when ab and bc are perfectly aligned, or in a region around that.
Amaelle
Good day
I have issue to understand why in the second case we still have 1 degree of freedom, because according to my understanding ( the circles for me represent the trajectory of the rotation of the two segment, and according to it the two segments can't rotate simultaneously. but according to the book , in the second case the vertical displacement of point B is a allowed?
any hints would be highly appreciated thanks!

Attachments

• degree of freedom.png
    degree of freedom.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 643
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are the sections allowed to bend and stretch ?

BvU said:
Are the sections allowed to bend and stretch ?
I thought it was a mechanical engineering section, so any question regarding this topics should be accepted

The context eludes me. Both pictures have h = v - n = (2+2+2) - (3+3) = 0 as 'explaining' text !?
I also don't follow what the circles represent.
Amaelle said:
I thought it was a mechanical engineering section
If you don't know (and don't give more context), who does ?
so any question regarding this topics should be accepted
Ah, you mean the ME forum ? Yes, all and any question is Ok. But you can influence your chances to get sensible assistance by helping the helpers :smile:

Likes Amaelle
the circles represent rotational motion of the two segments around the hinges on points A and C, I have uploaded another picture to illustrate the point
motion.png

Attachments

• motion.png
    motion.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 679
n represents the degree of freedom , v the number of constraint, and h is the degree of static determinacy,

Amaelle said:
the circles represent rotational motion
Ah, but in this second picture the axis of rotation is at the support points -- much more sensible
Amaelle said:
n represents the degree of freedom , v the number of constraint, and h is the degree of static determinacy
Confusion again. Probably n represents the number of degrees of freedom ? Of what ? Where does the 3+3 come from ?
v is the number of constraints. Fine. Of what ? Of points A, B and C ? Where does the 2+2+2 come from ?
I can guess, but you might clarify things first ...

I suppose a circle means a hinge -- what about the cups at A and C ?

Thanks Bvu for your prompt reply and sorry for all that troubles!
let me better explain: n explain the degree of freedoms, we have two bodies assembled via an internal hinge, so degree of freedom of the system is 3+3 =6
v is the number of constraints : we have two hinges and one internal hinges so the number of constraints is 2+2+2=6

As you might know the hinges only prevent horizontal and vertical displacement not rotation and the the rotation shown on the pic are the rotations around the hinges A and C,
Thanks!

BvU said:
I suppose a circle means a hinge -- what about the cups at A and C ?

the cups means the possible sens of rotation

How do you deduct a possible sense of rotation ? Both cups at A
upload_2017-12-10_22-20-0.png
and C
upload_2017-12-10_22-18-57.png
look the same to me
upload_2017-12-10_22-19-30.png
this being the one at C

( Maybe I gave them a wrong name ? half-circles ? )In both figures in post #1 they use the same n (3+3) and conclude the same h (0) in the captions.

Is there more to this than we assume so far ? Would the left figure upside down also conclude 'no rigid body motions' ?

In that case, where does the transition take place from 'no rigid body motions' to 'vertical displacement of point B is allowed!' ? only when ab and bc are prefectly aligned ? or in a region around that ? What can cause such a discontinuity ?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-10_22-18-48.png
    upload_2017-12-10_22-18-48.png
    376 bytes · Views: 524
  • upload_2017-12-10_22-18-57.png
    upload_2017-12-10_22-18-57.png
    376 bytes · Views: 391
  • upload_2017-12-10_22-19-30.png
    upload_2017-12-10_22-19-30.png
    979 bytes · Views: 406
  • upload_2017-12-10_22-20-0.png
    upload_2017-12-10_22-20-0.png
    324 bytes · Views: 394

Related to Determining the number of degrees of freedom

What is the concept of degrees of freedom?

Degrees of freedom refer to the number of independent variables or observations in a statistical analysis. It is the number of values in a sample that are free to vary.

How do you determine the number of degrees of freedom in a statistical analysis?

The number of degrees of freedom is determined by subtracting the number of restrictions or constraints on the sample from the total number of observations. In other words, it is the difference between the sample size and the number of parameters being estimated.

Why is it important to consider degrees of freedom in statistical analyses?

Degrees of freedom play a crucial role in determining the appropriate statistical test to use and the accuracy of the results. If the degrees of freedom are too low, it can lead to biased and unreliable results.

What happens when the degrees of freedom are too high?

When the degrees of freedom are too high, it can lead to overfitting and a decrease in the generalizability of the results. This can also result in a higher chance of Type I errors (false positives).

What factors can affect the degrees of freedom in a statistical analysis?

The sample size, number of variables or parameters being estimated, and the study design can all affect the degrees of freedom in a statistical analysis. Additionally, any restrictions or constraints on the sample can also impact the degrees of freedom.